Somalia’s Islamist group bans samosas, calling it 'too Western'
- India's naval might on full display off Visakhapatnam coast
- Kerala solar scam: Had freedom to enter Chandy’s house anytime, says Saritha Nair
- Australian national suspected to be IS supporter deported from Delhi airport
- At least 39 dead as Gujarat state transport bus plunges into river
- Cops have a case for new juvenile law: boy who ‘killed 2’
Somalia's extremist Islam fighters have banned samosas after ruling that the popular snacks are too 'Western'.
The Al-Shabaab group last week used vehicles mounted with loudspeakers to announce the bizarre ruling across regions of the war-torn country it controls.
The extremist group has offered no official explanation for the ban on the snack, the Daily Mail reports.
The samosa is said to have upset militant Islamists due to a supposed resemblance to the Christian Holy Trinity, the paper said.
The bizarre ban comes just days after militants linked to Al-Qaeda in Somalia refused to let some aid workers into the country, as tens of thousands suffered in the nation''s massive famine.
The unexpected move means Somalis would now be punished if caught cooking, buying or eating samosas, known locally as 'sambusas'.
The UN last week declared a famine in two parts of the country and warned of millions facing death from starvation.
The Al-Shabaab had previously suggested it would allow foreign agencies to bring in vital food aid to prevent its people from dying.
- No proof required: MGNREGA does not help poor
- Male-dominated ‘places of worship’ are places where god doesn’t reside
- As Sushma visits Lanka, India should invest its diplomatic capital in finding constitutional solution
- There is talk of 4th industrial revolution. How about spreading the benefits of the preceding three
- It Made China See Red
- Modi’s Idea of India - 2