Somdev, Yuki may return; Bhupathi, Bopanna unlikely
- Manohar Parrikar sticks to stand, warns of action against Coast Guard officer
- Coast Guard DIG on video: Blow the Pak boat off, we don’t want to serve them biryani
- Clean chit to AAP: Nothing wrong with foreign funding, Centre tells HC
- Fake encounter case: D G Vanzara walks free; says "Acche Din" have arrived
- Defence is at heart of Make in India programme, says PM Modi at Bangalore Aero show
Top singles players Somdev Devvarman and Yuki Bhambri are likely to return to the Indian Davis Cup team as the national selectors meet to pick the squad for the tie against Indonesia, here tomorrow.
In the absence of 11 top players, India had lost the Asia/Oceania Group I first round tie against South Korea 1-4 earlier this month.
The players ended their rebellion for the time being and made themselves available for the Indonesia tie after AITA agreed to improve the playing conditions and gave all the offers in writing. The selection committee is unlikely to overlook Somdev although he is fifth-highest ranked Indian player at 354. Somdev had beaten world number 39 Benoit Paire of France in an ongoing ATP event in France. Yuki is highest-ranked Indian player in singles at 257 so he is likely to return to the squad. He has not lived up to expectations after a sparkling career in junior circuit but he
is one player, who is considered India's future in singles along with Somdev.
Yuki had won both his singles in the relegation play-off tie against New Zealand in September 2012 in Chandigarh. For the doubles, the selection committee will stick with Leander Paes but it would be interesting to see if Purav Raja is retained. Raja had supported Paes well in the tie against Korea, as the two registered the only victory for India.