Some riots papers destroyed before time: Bhatt to Nanavati panel
- Ahead of Kisan rally, Rahul Gandhi meets delegation of farmers
- 15-year-old boy killed in J&K's Narbal as security forces open fire on protesters
- Suicide bombing in eastern Afghanistan kills 22, injures 50
- First Germany, now UK objects to India ‘breach’ of secret bank data
- Need to give foreign visit details in tax returns
Govt files affidavit that nine documents were destroyed in 2006 and 2010.
The state government has put it on oath that at least nine of the 47 riots-related intelligence documents sought by suspended IPS officer Sanjiv Bhatt were destroyed in 2006 and 2010 in "routine course".
Deputy Inspector General of Police (Intelligence), J K Bhatt, filed an affidavit in this regard on Wednesday pursuant to the recent order of the Nanavati Commission over the issue.
On November 2, the government had told the Commission that nine of the documents had been destroyed, following which, the Commission ordered the government to put the said statement on record.
The stand taken by the government on these destroyed documents is in stark contrast to its stand taken before the Gujarat High Court. The Advocate General representing the government had told the court that the documents had not been destroyed.
Bhatt told The Indian Express that in the affidavit the government has stated that the nine documents have been destroyed as per routine practice. All these were intelligence documents falling under various categories under which they were to be destroyed after a particular period.
Against this affidavit, Bhatt has filed his clarification and stated that the categorisation of documents by the intelligence department was not in conformity with the circulars issued by the General Administration Department. He has claimed that some of the documents were destroyed even before their stipulated time period, as per the circulars in that regard by the General Administrative Department.
Bhatt has sought clarification from the government on these points. The Commission has asked the government to file a reply to the same and kept further hearing on Friday.