'Someone from Nehru-Gandhi family should be declared PM nominee'
- The gongs of Behmai: 35 years on, will justice be served?
- Mann Ki Baat: Start-up India to crop insurance, here's all that Modi said
- J-K crisis: Mehbooba to chair PDP meet, discuss govt formation
- MCD strike: Kejriwal supports demands of protesting employees
- Fifth Column: Hope PM Modi has realised that India is not Gujarat
Congress leader Ajit Jogi on Sunday said that "someone from the Nehru-Gandhi family" should be declared the party's prime ministerial candidate for the 2014 Lok Sabha elections.
"The Nehru-Gandhi family has a great image and reputation. People love them. We seek votes in their name. It is my opinion that someone from the family should be declared the PM candidate before the elections," said Jogi. Asked whether he is hinting at Rahul Gandhi as the the PM candidate, the former Chhattisgarh CM said, "I say any member of the family. Rahulji's candidature is implied."
When asked if he has any doubt about Rahul's candidature for the top job, Jogi said, "Some people do have doubts. Therefore, it should be declared before elections." He, however, added it is up to the 'family' to take a final call.
Congress sources said that a section of the party is of the opinion that if the Congress has to lead yet another multi-party coalition after the elections, Rahul may not be willing to lead the government. "As I understand it, he may prefer to focus on strengthening the organisation if it is yet another wobbly coalition," a Congress CM told The Indian Express.
- The problem in Arunachal is as much about politics as about institutional norms
- The public university is becoming insecure, narrow-minded and conservative
- Building on the Jan Dhan framework, India should move from price to income support
- Haryana panchayat poll outcome does not reflect the state’s social composition
- India’s education system is terribly out of step with the times
- China is not India’s sibling, nor is China India’s nemesis