'Someone from Nehru-Gandhi family should be declared PM nominee'
- Obama rules out putting US troops on ground to fight Islamic State
- Heavy rainfall floods Tamil Nadu, rail, road services badly hit; 71 killed so far
- Azam Khan's remarks on Paris attacks spark row, BJP demands action
- French officials identify Belgian national as suspected mastermind
- Awards recognition of talent, they should be cherished: Prez
Congress leader Ajit Jogi on Sunday said that "someone from the Nehru-Gandhi family" should be declared the party's prime ministerial candidate for the 2014 Lok Sabha elections.
"The Nehru-Gandhi family has a great image and reputation. People love them. We seek votes in their name. It is my opinion that someone from the family should be declared the PM candidate before the elections," said Jogi. Asked whether he is hinting at Rahul Gandhi as the the PM candidate, the former Chhattisgarh CM said, "I say any member of the family. Rahulji's candidature is implied."
When asked if he has any doubt about Rahul's candidature for the top job, Jogi said, "Some people do have doubts. Therefore, it should be declared before elections." He, however, added it is up to the 'family' to take a final call.
Congress sources said that a section of the party is of the opinion that if the Congress has to lead yet another multi-party coalition after the elections, Rahul may not be willing to lead the government. "As I understand it, he may prefer to focus on strengthening the organisation if it is yet another wobbly coalition," a Congress CM told The Indian Express.
- Responses to Mumbai, Paris attacks were strikingly different. But India has learnt since
- Tipu Sultan: Revisionist overlook his bigotry, contemporaries saw nothing else
- True successors of Gandhi-Nehru
- Raja-Mandala: The final burial of non-alignment
- Modi in Britain: Beyond a reiteration of good intentions, little was achieved
- The government’s version of the uniform civil code must be debated publicly