'Someone from Nehru-Gandhi family should be declared PM nominee'
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Kejriwal holds roadshow in Varanasi before filing nomination
- Mulayam Yadav calls Narendra Modi a liar, says he changes 500 kurtas a day
- Bhavnagar model: Muslim buys house, canât move in
- 12-yr-olds also voted in this Bihar village
- Shazia says Muslims should become 'communal' when they vote
Congress leader Ajit Jogi on Sunday said that "someone from the Nehru-Gandhi family" should be declared the party's prime ministerial candidate for the 2014 Lok Sabha elections.
"The Nehru-Gandhi family has a great image and reputation. People love them. We seek votes in their name. It is my opinion that someone from the family should be declared the PM candidate before the elections," said Jogi. Asked whether he is hinting at Rahul Gandhi as the the PM candidate, the former Chhattisgarh CM said, "I say any member of the family. Rahulji's candidature is implied."
When asked if he has any doubt about Rahul's candidature for the top job, Jogi said, "Some people do have doubts. Therefore, it should be declared before elections." He, however, added it is up to the 'family' to take a final call.
Congress sources said that a section of the party is of the opinion that if the Congress has to lead yet another multi-party coalition after the elections, Rahul may not be willing to lead the government. "As I understand it, he may prefer to focus on strengthening the organisation if it is yet another wobbly coalition," a Congress CM told The Indian Express.
Jogi's remarks came a day after Rahul snubbed Uttarakhand CM Vijay Bahuguna for saying that he should not wait for the elections and rather become the PM straightaway as the UPA II still has a year left.
- Run Away Style
- Stakes high for AIADMK, DMK as TN goes to polls
- Six Bengal constituencies go to poll tomorrow in second phase
- Whistleblower alleged kickbacks, favours in ‘thin client’ procurement; NDA never completed inquiry
- Pune AAP volunteers all set to hit campaign trail in Varanasi
- ‘Interstate’ gang of chain snatchers held; gold worth Rs 80 lakh seized