Somnath temple gets Rs 11-cr gold platter
- PM Modi should resign if he can't ask four ministers to step down: Congress
- Lalit Modi names 2 Indian, 1 West Indian cricketer who were bribed
- Kerala bar bribery case: Relief for Mani as anti-corruption body decides against chargesheet
- No charging check-in baggage: Government on budget airlines' move
- Delhi court allows TERI chief R K Pachauri to travel to USA
A Mumbai-based business family has donated a 30-kg gold platter worth around Rs 11 crore to the historical Somnath temple. The platter, donated by businessman Dilip Lakhi, his four brothers and their families, was brought to the temple in a procession on Thursday.
Managing trustee of the Somnath Temple Trust P K Laheri said the Lakhis, during their last visit three months ago, noted that the 'jyotirlinga' here had a silver platter, and vowed to donate a gold one.
The platter was crafted by artisans in Delhi and brought to Somnath town by a train, under tight security.
"This unprecedented offering has increased the importance of the pilgrimage to this temple which is the pride of not only Gujarat but of the entire nation," said former Chief Minister Keshubhai Patel who heads the temple trust.