Somnath temple gets Rs 11-cr gold platter
- Essar Leaks: SC issues notices to Essar Group and Centre on PIL seeking court-monitored probe
- Karnataka CM announces CBI probe into death of IAS officer DK Ravi
- Hashimpura massacre: 10 freed still in UP Police
- Jaitley, Rajan paper over the cracks, minister says in regular, frank talks
- Lee Kuan Yew, founder of modern Singapore, passes away at 91
A Mumbai-based business family has donated a 30-kg gold platter worth around Rs 11 crore to the historical Somnath temple. The platter, donated by businessman Dilip Lakhi, his four brothers and their families, was brought to the temple in a procession on Thursday.
Managing trustee of the Somnath Temple Trust P K Laheri said the Lakhis, during their last visit three months ago, noted that the 'jyotirlinga' here had a silver platter, and vowed to donate a gold one.
The platter was crafted by artisans in Delhi and brought to Somnath town by a train, under tight security.
"This unprecedented offering has increased the importance of the pilgrimage to this temple which is the pride of not only Gujarat but of the entire nation," said former Chief Minister Keshubhai Patel who heads the temple trust.