Son of Dawoodi Bohra sect head dies, mishap at burial claims 1 more
- After arrest, Jitender Singh Tomar resigns as Delhi Law Minister
- Army begins operation near Myanmar border, kills militants involved in Manipur ambush
- Joint CP Mukesh Kumar Meena hits back, says he took charge at ACB under L-G's orders
- Congress president Sonia Gandhi accuses PM Modi of 'U-turns, falsehoods'
- UP minister booked for burning journalist to death over Facebook post
Shehzada al Muqaddas Huzefa Bs Mohyuddin, the 65-year-old son of Dawoodi Bohra community head Syedna Dr Mohammed Burhanuddin, died of cardiac arrest here on Monday.
The tragedy was compounded during his burial when a 30-foot-long parapet in a building in the graveyard fell on a tent, leaving one dead and 20 injured.
While the injured were shifted to Shardaben Hospital, two of them had to be moved from there to V S Hospital in a critical condition, with head and spinal injuries.
The mishap occurred around 5 pm when Huzefa was being buried at Burhani Masjid in the Qutbi Mazar compound, where a large crowd of mourners had gathered.
Fire brigade chief M F Dastoor said the remaining portion of the parapet was removed to prevent any further problem.
The Syenda family scion was in the city since January 14 in connection with various religious functions to mark chehellum (40 days after the Moharram) ceremonies at the Dawoodi Bohra mazar sharif in Saraspur.
In June 2011, the Syedna himself had suffered a stroke and had undergone treatment in London. Soon after, he had appointed his second son Syedi Mufaddal Bhaisaheb Saifuddin as his successor and the 53rd Dai al-Mutlaq of the Dawoodi Bohra community.
Meanwhile, no FIR was filed till late in the case of parapet collapse nor were the names of the dead or injured were declared.
Congress president Sonia Gandhi expressed her grief over the death of Huzefa Saheb.