Son of retired ACP held for murder
- Supreme Court issues notice to Goa Police, agrees to hear Tejpal's bail plea in sexual assault case
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Modi says poverty is a 'tourist destination' for Rahul
- 78 pc turnout, but few can show ink mark
- Giriraj Singh defiant despite FIR, says he stands by his 'Modi critics must go to Pak' remarks
- RSS appeal to âmajorityâ: Vote or become history
Son of a retired assistant commissioner of police (ACP) was arrested Thursday for allegedly murdering a tailor in Bandra in the early hours of January 1 in an inebriated state.
Last year, Mayuresh (23), son of Sudam Shinde, had stolen gold jewellery from his house after a bitter argument with family.
He was arrested at 11.50 pm Thursday, three days after he allegedly stoned Jabbar Ali Shaikh to death following an argument in Nirmal Nagar, Bandra East.
He demanded money from Jabbar of Gausiya Compound in Nirmal Nagar. Shaikh refused, saying he had only Rs 400.
Mayuresh then told him to hand over whatever he had. When Shaikh refused again, he allegedly picked up a paver block and hit him on the head.
Mayuresh then fled, leaving Shaikh to bleed to death.
He was produced before a magistrate Friday and was remanded in police custody till January 7.
Police said Mayuresh was allegedly roaming MHADA Colony in Bandra East after consuming alcohol. They said he frequently tried to extort money from people.
Shaikh's body was found by a neighbour, who called police at 12.36 am. Post-mortem revealed he died due to a blow to head.
Police said Mayuresh had a bad relationship with his family and would constantly fight with parents over trivial issues.
Attempts to reform him proved futile, they said.
On September 12 evening, he had an argument with father Sudam and threatened to get even with his family. Later that night, he allegedly stole gold jewellery worth Rs 2.5 lakh from a safe in his house.
When Sudam woke up, he found the locker open and Mayuresh missing. He immediately lodged a complaint at Nirmal Nagar Police Station, following which Mayuresh was arrested the next day.
"Mayuresh has a criminal record," said Namdeo Chavan, DCP (Zone VIII).
- 21-year-old dies in road mishap, one injured
- Ask Badals where is Ludhiana Metro: Bhattal to locals
- Arrests in priest murder case divide Catholic Church
- Short Change: EPFO to allot permanent account number to active subscribers by Oct 15
- India Inc profit set to grow, but margins under pressure
- Mulayam: Will amend Constitution for Muslim quota