Son of retired ACP held for murder
- India's future cannot exist without the future of Kashmir: Rajnath Singh
- Will appoint nodal officer to help Kashmiri youth across the country: Rajnath Singh in Srinagar
- Dec 16 Delhi gangrape case: Convict attempts suicide inside Tihar Jail, rushed to hospital
- Earthquake in Italy kills 247, toll may rise as rescuers continue hunt for survivors
- Rahul Gandhi twisting statement, must show generosity, apologise: RSS
Son of a retired assistant commissioner of police (ACP) was arrested Thursday for allegedly murdering a tailor in Bandra in the early hours of January 1 in an inebriated state.
Last year, Mayuresh (23), son of Sudam Shinde, had stolen gold jewellery from his house after a bitter argument with family.
He was arrested at 11.50 pm Thursday, three days after he allegedly stoned Jabbar Ali Shaikh to death following an argument in Nirmal Nagar, Bandra East.
He demanded money from Jabbar of Gausiya Compound in Nirmal Nagar. Shaikh refused, saying he had only Rs 400.
Mayuresh then told him to hand over whatever he had. When Shaikh refused again, he allegedly picked up a paver block and hit him on the head.
Mayuresh then fled, leaving Shaikh to bleed to death.
He was produced before a magistrate Friday and was remanded in police custody till January 7.
Police said Mayuresh was allegedly roaming MHADA Colony in Bandra East after consuming alcohol. They said he frequently tried to extort money from people.
Shaikh's body was found by a neighbour, who called police at 12.36 am. Post-mortem revealed he died due to a blow to head.
Police said Mayuresh had a bad relationship with his family and would constantly fight with parents over trivial issues.
Attempts to reform him proved futile, they said.
On September 12 evening, he had an argument with father Sudam and threatened to get even with his family. Later that night, he allegedly stole gold jewellery worth Rs 2.5 lakh from a safe in his house.
When Sudam woke up, he found the locker open and Mayuresh missing. He immediately lodged a complaint at Nirmal Nagar Police Station, following which Mayuresh was arrested the next day.
- Pakistan army has a battle to win: The corruption within
- Anger of Irom Sharmila’s supporters should not be dismissed as selfishness or cynicism
- You keep the cow’s tail: A post card from Una, Gujarat, August 15
- History shows why Balochistan is not an internal matter of Pakistan
- The use of technology will be key to making GST a success
- Sedition law cannot be used against honest views, expressed peacefully