Sonia Gandhi condoles loss of lives in Allahabad stampede
- Supreme Court strikes down Section 66A, says it violates right to speech
- Pakistan Day: PM greets, MoS VK Singh tweets #disgust
- DK Ravi's death: Govt calls in CBI, tells court he had a ‘relationship’ with batchmate
- Mufti Mohammad Sayeed says will take Army into confidence on AFSPA
- 1987 Hashimpura massacre: The photographs that stand witness
Congress president Sonia Gandhi on Monday expressed grief over the death of 36 people in a stampede at Allahabad Railway Station.
The stampede occurred at 7 pm yesterday when thousands of passengers, mostly Maha Kumbh devotees returning after taking holy dip at the Sangam, had gathered to board a train.
Gandhi has expressed deep shock and sorrow over the tragic death of pilgrims, a message from the AICC said.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh had condoled the loss of lives in the tragedy and instructed the Railway Ministry to provide all possible assistance.
Singh also directed Central government departments to extend all possible help to the Uttar Pradesh government in relief operations.
The UP government had ordered an inquiry into the stampede and asked the Railways to make proper arrangements to clear rush of devotees and sanctioned an ex-gratia of Rs 5 lakh to the kin of each of the deceased persons.