Sonia Gandhi discusses Telangana issue with senior party leaders
- Mamata Banerjee govt saving those involved in Saradha scam: Rahul Gandhi
- Senior Pakistan journalist Hamid Mir shot at in Karachi
- One dead in Odisha post-poll violence
- BJP rubbishes Geelani's claim, calls separatist leader's 'Modi emissary talk' as 'false and mischievous'
- IPL 7 Live Cricket Score, DD vs KKR: KKR strike early, get rid of DD opener Vijay
With the deadline set by Centre on Telangana fast approaching, Congress president Sonia Gandhi on Wednesday discussed the contentious issue with senior party leaders.
Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde, Health Minister Ghulam Nabi Azad and Overseas Indian Affairs Minister Vayalar Ravi and Ahmed Patel were present at the meeting.
The meeting assumes significance in the wake of the January 28 deadline set by the Centre to decide on the issue.
Shinde had on December 28 said the Centre would take the decision on the issue within a month.
Hectic consultations are on at the highest levels in government amid speculation over various options to resolve the tangle.
Among the various ideas, one is said to be the creation of a territorial administration on the lines of Bodoland and Gorkhaland for the backward region.