Sonia Gandhi discusses Telangana issue with senior party leaders
- Supreme Court strikes down Section 66A, says it violates right to speech
- Pakistan Day: PM greets, MoS VK Singh tweets #disgust
- DK Ravi's death: Govt calls in CBI, tells court he had a ‘relationship’ with batchmate
- Mufti Mohammad Sayeed says will take Army into confidence on AFSPA
- 1987 Hashimpura massacre: The photographs that stand witness
With the deadline set by Centre on Telangana fast approaching, Congress president Sonia Gandhi on Wednesday discussed the contentious issue with senior party leaders.
Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde, Health Minister Ghulam Nabi Azad and Overseas Indian Affairs Minister Vayalar Ravi and Ahmed Patel were present at the meeting.
The meeting assumes significance in the wake of the January 28 deadline set by the Centre to decide on the issue.
Shinde had on December 28 said the Centre would take the decision on the issue within a month.
Hectic consultations are on at the highest levels in government amid speculation over various options to resolve the tangle.
Among the various ideas, one is said to be the creation of a territorial administration on the lines of Bodoland and Gorkhaland for the backward region.