'Sonia Gandhi tops the list of 20 most popular women in India'
- RBI Governor: From Rao and Singh to Modi, why Urjit Patel was a favourite
- Targeting NSCN(K) camp, Indian Army troops entered Myanmar
- J&K: Infiltration bid along LoC foiled, three militants killed in Kupwara
- Punjab: Gau Raksha Dal chief Satish Kumar arrested
- Turkey: 30 killed, 94 hurt in bomb attack at wedding
UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi tops the list of "20 Most Popular Women in India in 2012" in which her current political rivals Mamata Banerjee and Jayalalithaa Jayaram also figure.
ICICI MD and CEO Chanda Kochhar, Pepsico Chairperson and CEO Indra Nooyi and Bollywood actress Aishwarya Rai Bachchan are the others who figure in the list prepared after a survey jointly conducted by Assocham and a media house.
The survey placed Sonia Gandhi in the top position, followed by Chanda Kochhar in second, Indra Nooyi in third, CMD of Biocon Kiran Mazumdar-Shaw in fourth and actress Aishwarya Rai Bachchan in fifth.
Axis Bank MD and CEO Shikha Sharma, actress Vidya Balan and Olympic bronze-medallist M C Mary Kom, were placed in sixth, seventh and eighth positions, respectively, according to the survey released on the eve of the International Women's Day.
Assocham said the survey was conducted in January and February this year.
The chamber claimed that about 2,000 working women in 11 sectors like marketing, IT and ITeS, manufacturing and banking and finance were surveyed in various cities including National Capital Region, Mumbai, Bangalore, Hyderabad and Pune.
Badminton player Saina Nehwal was in 9th position, India's first women IPS officer Kiran Bedi in 10th and HSBC Country Head Naina Lal Kidwai in 11th.
- PM's Balochistan policy: Gameplan, gambit or gamble?
- Lessons to learn from Rio Olympics
- Reminiscing after 70: What were the best decades of independent India?
- Inside Track: No party spirit
- There are systemic flaws and vulnerabilities. But India is on the right path
- Wrestlers lose face, and perhaps an Olympic medal, and NADA its credibility