'Sonia Gandhi tops the list of 20 most popular women in India'
- Government issues high alert, says Islamic State expanding area of terror
- Putin vows to hunt down those who bombed Russian plane in Egypt
- Mani Shankar Aiyar to Pakistan channel: Remove Modi for talks to resume
- Chittoor Mayor shot dead while trying to save husband
- Hyderabad nursery student dies after head gets stuck in school lift
UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi tops the list of "20 Most Popular Women in India in 2012" in which her current political rivals Mamata Banerjee and Jayalalithaa Jayaram also figure.
ICICI MD and CEO Chanda Kochhar, Pepsico Chairperson and CEO Indra Nooyi and Bollywood actress Aishwarya Rai Bachchan are the others who figure in the list prepared after a survey jointly conducted by Assocham and a media house.
The survey placed Sonia Gandhi in the top position, followed by Chanda Kochhar in second, Indra Nooyi in third, CMD of Biocon Kiran Mazumdar-Shaw in fourth and actress Aishwarya Rai Bachchan in fifth.
Axis Bank MD and CEO Shikha Sharma, actress Vidya Balan and Olympic bronze-medallist M C Mary Kom, were placed in sixth, seventh and eighth positions, respectively, according to the survey released on the eve of the International Women's Day.
Assocham said the survey was conducted in January and February this year.
The chamber claimed that about 2,000 working women in 11 sectors like marketing, IT and ITeS, manufacturing and banking and finance were surveyed in various cities including National Capital Region, Mumbai, Bangalore, Hyderabad and Pune.
Badminton player Saina Nehwal was in 9th position, India's first women IPS officer Kiran Bedi in 10th and HSBC Country Head Naina Lal Kidwai in 11th.
- Europe’s challenge: Find a political solution to the quagmire in West Asia
- Surrogacy isn’t morally reprehensible, surrogates should be seen as workers
- One world, one battlefield
- With five states polling soon, the great Indian election will continue without recess
- Why Stockholm punches above its weight in innovation and entrepreneurship
- Responses to Mumbai, Paris attacks were strikingly different. But India has learnt since