Sonia inaugurates rail coach factory
- Vote Supriya or lose water, âthreatensâ Ajit
- 5th phase of elections: Moderate to high turnout on biggest voting day, halfway mark crossed
- Congress releases CD of Uma Bharti calling Narendra Modi 'Vinash Purush'
- April 17 poll roundup: Rajnath says only Modi will be PM; Jaswant Singh writes to EC against Raje
- IPL 7: Yuvraj Singh roars back to form
In an apparent attack on the BSP, UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi on Wednesday said when the Rail Coach Factory (RCF) project was launched here rumours were spread by some persons against it but defying them the project has seen the light of day in such a short time.
The foundation stone for the RCF project was laid in January 2009 just before Lok Sabha polls and the then BSP government in Uttar Pradesh had termed it as a "political gimmick" on the eve of election to gain political mileage.
"I here want to mention those who spread rumours against the project.... But it has been completed in such a short time," Sonia said at a function to flag off rail coaches at RCF here in Lalganj.
The land for the project was initially denied to the Railways, which had blamed the BSP government for delaying the start of the project.
Before flagging off 20 coaches produced in the factory which would be used in Rajdhani and Shatabdi trains, Sonia inspected them and said she was feeling elated while flagging off the coaches from here.
"Railways on which 1.5 crore passengers travel every day is crucial for the economy of the country. It is the biggest employer in which over 15 lakh employees work," Sonia said in the presence of Railway Minister Pawan Bansal.
"I have seen how people in far away places in Jammu and Kashmir were enthused when the service started there," she added.
- As EC website crashes due to overload, party workers use apps to locate voters
- An entire society in Kothrud could not vote
- Chaos, anger across city over missing names
- Mulayam pushes third front, says will stake claim to PM post
- Don’t look at my candidates, votes for me: Maya to Dalits
- AAP biggies focus on Vishwas, Kejri seats, other units suffer