Sonia inaugurates rail coach factory
- Highest earners in 75% rural households earned below Rs 5K: SECC
- Ex-RAW chief's revelation: Congress seeks PM's apology for Gujarat riots
- Hema Malini's car accident: Victim's family upset with BJP MP
- Kandahar operation: BJP dismisses ex-RAW chief's claims of 'goof-up'
- Gujarat HC dismisses petition against PM Narendra Modi for filing defective affidavit
In an apparent attack on the BSP, UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi on Wednesday said when the Rail Coach Factory (RCF) project was launched here rumours were spread by some persons against it but defying them the project has seen the light of day in such a short time.
The foundation stone for the RCF project was laid in January 2009 just before Lok Sabha polls and the then BSP government in Uttar Pradesh had termed it as a "political gimmick" on the eve of election to gain political mileage.
"I here want to mention those who spread rumours against the project.... But it has been completed in such a short time," Sonia said at a function to flag off rail coaches at RCF here in Lalganj.
The land for the project was initially denied to the Railways, which had blamed the BSP government for delaying the start of the project.
Before flagging off 20 coaches produced in the factory which would be used in Rajdhani and Shatabdi trains, Sonia inspected them and said she was feeling elated while flagging off the coaches from here.
"Railways on which 1.5 crore passengers travel every day is crucial for the economy of the country. It is the biggest employer in which over 15 lakh employees work," Sonia said in the presence of Railway Minister Pawan Bansal.
"I have seen how people in far away places in Jammu and Kashmir were enthused when the service started there," she added.