Sorry chapter of M K Alagiri performance as Union minister
- BJP cancels Sabir Ali's membership after objection by Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi and RSS
- Narendra Modi attacks Rahul Gandhi, says his 'entire family has never been able to fight BJP ideology'
- Imran Masood arrested after 'chop Modi' remark, Rahul Gandhi cancels Saharanpur rally
- Narendra Modi and Kejriwal locked in a war over books in Varanasi
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Rahul Gandhi attacks BJP, says Gujarat model balloon will burst like 'India Shining'
DMK'S pullout from UPA has ended the tenure of one of the biggest non-performing ministers. M K Alagiri, who was Chemicals and Fertilisers Minister, was rarely in office and never replied to a question in Parliament since his induction in 2009.
While day-to-day duties were performed by MoS Srikant Jena, Alagiri used to be quick to block Jena's opinions when it came to deciding important policies like fertiliser subsidy or pricing of medicines. His insistence on speaking only in Tamil meant he interacted only with Tamil-speaking officials.
He also ensured that any vacancy in his ministry was filled by Tamil Nadu cadre officers. Chairman of National Pharmaceutical Pricing Authority, financial advisor in ministry and two joint secretaries were all from TN cadre. While his personal staff ruled the roost from his office, important files used to be taken to Madurai for clearance. Now, Jena is feeling liberated, having been given full charge of the ministry.
- Antony rejects Modi's criticism, calls his comment unpatriotic
- Election Commission sets in motion poll process in Tamil Nadu, Puducherry
- Opposition targets ruling AIADMK on power issue
- I shake hands with every woman I meet… It leaves a lasting impact: Jannat
- Kadam, Vyavahare, Bagwe in Congress star campaigners’ list
- Modi rally: Traffic snarls likely today