Soumya Viswanathan murder accused in Tihar extortion ring: Police
- Mad rush, chaos as Arvind Kejriwal takes local train to woo 'aam aadmi' in Mumbai
- SC defers hearing on Sahara's plea on releasing Subrata Roy
- IAF aircraft on standby for missing Malaysian Airlines search ops
- Presidential delay in mercy petitions: SC won't reconsider verdict
- Lalu loyalist-turned rebel Ram Kripal Yadav joins BJP
The police have uncovered an extortion racket being run from inside Tihar jail and a probe has been ordered after it emerged that extortion calls were being made on a mobile phone by one of the inmates.
Police identified the inmate as Amit Shukla. He is one of the accused in the murder of TV journalist Soumya Viswanathan.
The probe will establish how a mobile phone was smuggled inside Tihar Jail and handed to an inmate. It will also be checked how calls were made despite jammers in place at the jail.
Director General (Prisons) Vimla Mehra said: "We will definitely order an inquiry into it."
Police said Arun Kumar, a compounder who worked at the Tihar dispensary, had been arrested for allegedly collecting Rs 50,000 as the first instalment from a businessman who had been targeted by Shukla.
According to police, Kumar got to know Shukla during the four years he served as a compounder at the dispensary. The two struck a friendship and Shukla began to use him to collect the extortion money.
Police said they first received information that some gangsters lodged in Tihar Jail had been functioning from behind the bars.
It was discovered that Shukla had been calling one Rajender, a Vaishali resident, on his mobile phone to extort money.
On January 24, Rajender, who works as a manager at a businessman's office, lodged a formal complaint about the threatening calls he had been receiving, police said. The case was transferred to the special cell on January 26. But a day earlier, Rajender, fearing for his life, handed Rs 50,000 as the first instalment of an extortion sum.
On January 27, police tracked down Kumar, who had allegedly collected the money on behalf of Shukla. He was arrested from Mukund Vihar.
- Trouble for Khobragade as govt finds daughters have US, Indian passports
- AAP’s existence a miracle of Bhagwan, Allah: Kejriwal at Mumbai road show
- HC breather for widow, stay on sessions court order to act against her for filing ‘false complaint’
- Explain stand to DCP: HC to TISS students
- Cops record statements of two priests whom Sanap ‘consulted after crime’
- Atletico end Italian hopes