South Africa skipper Austin Smith in HIL Players' Auction
- Day after Rahul Gandhi slams PM Modi, Amit Shah condemns politics over surgical strikes
- Prohibition to stay in Bihar: SC stays Patna HC judgment setting aside liquor ban
- US says does not support declaring Pakistan a 'terrorist state'
- Talk on stage at Parrikar event: 200 killed, atom bomb vs atom bomb
- Hurricane Matthew: Haiti death toll rises to 339, deadly storm hits Florida
Austin Smith, who led South Africa in London Olympics hockey competition earlier this year, will be among the top stars for next month's Players' Auction for the Hockey India League that will be held from January 5 next year.
"We are pleased that creative midfielder Smith, who has led the national team in 56 matches and was nominated to be a part of the FIH World All-Star team in 2009, is among those from South Africa who are eager to showcase their talents in the Hockey India League," said Hockey India Secretary-General and HIL Chairman Narinder Batra in a release.
The 27-year-old Smith has 103 international caps and has been part of South African teams that have competed in the Olympic Games in 2008 and 2012, the FIH World Cup 2010 and the Commonwealth Games in Delhi in 2010, besides helping the team win a bronze medal in the FIH Champions Challenge 1 in 2011.
The prolific drag-flick exponent Justin Reid Ross (63 goals in 91 games), seasoned Lloyd Norris Jones (46 goals in 90 matches) and all-rounder Thornton McDade (27 goals in 94 games) are among the other big draws from South Africa. They have played in the Olympic Games, FIH World Cup 2006 and 2010 and Commonwealth Games 2010.
Centre-half Lloyd Madsen (70 caps), defender Rhett Halkett (64 caps) and Erasmus Pieterse who has kept goal in 60 matches, including in the last two Olympic Games and in the FIH World Cup and Commonwealth Games in 2010, alongwith young defender Clinton Panther (34 caps) who was part of national squad for London Olympic Games, are also among the other stellar attractions from South Africa who have signed in their willingness to be featured in the HIL Players' Auction.
- Revealing Elena Ferrante’s identity violates her desire for privacy
- Breakdown of LoC ceasefire will make it difficult for army to control infiltration
- Academic publishers suit shows how much they benefitted from intellectual commons
- Lack of unity has prevented Sindhi nationalists from pressuring Islamabad
- India must be prepared to deal with a disease that is growing globally
- Challenge for India’s leaders is to show that strength can be blended with subtlety & deftness