South Africa skipper Austin Smith in HIL Players' Auction
- Cricketer Mohd Kaif, Nilekani, Ravi Kishen among 194 in Congress' first list of candidates for the Lok Sabha polls
- Yeddyurappa among 52 Bharatiya Janata Party candidates for Lok Sabha polls
- Malaysia Airlines plane with 5 Indians onboard missing, presumed crashed off Vietnam coast
- No compromise with live-ins or gay rights, moral values supreme: RSS
- Ink attack on AAP leader Yogendra Yadav at Jantar Mantar
Austin Smith, who led South Africa in London Olympics hockey competition earlier this year, will be among the top stars for next month's Players' Auction for the Hockey India League that will be held from January 5 next year.
"We are pleased that creative midfielder Smith, who has led the national team in 56 matches and was nominated to be a part of the FIH World All-Star team in 2009, is among those from South Africa who are eager to showcase their talents in the Hockey India League," said Hockey India Secretary-General and HIL Chairman Narinder Batra in a release.
The 27-year-old Smith has 103 international caps and has been part of South African teams that have competed in the Olympic Games in 2008 and 2012, the FIH World Cup 2010 and the Commonwealth Games in Delhi in 2010, besides helping the team win a bronze medal in the FIH Champions Challenge 1 in 2011.
The prolific drag-flick exponent Justin Reid Ross (63 goals in 91 games), seasoned Lloyd Norris Jones (46 goals in 90 matches) and all-rounder Thornton McDade (27 goals in 94 games) are among the other big draws from South Africa. They have played in the Olympic Games, FIH World Cup 2006 and 2010 and Commonwealth Games 2010.
Centre-half Lloyd Madsen (70 caps), defender Rhett Halkett (64 caps) and Erasmus Pieterse who has kept goal in 60 matches, including in the last two Olympic Games and in the FIH World Cup and Commonwealth Games in 2010, alongwith young defender Clinton Panther (34 caps) who was part of national squad for London Olympic Games, are also among the other stellar attractions from South Africa who have signed in their willingness to be featured in the HIL Players' Auction.
These South African players will join a galaxy of stars from overseas in the inaugural edition of the HIL that has secured a clear window in the International Hockey Federation international calendar. The six-franchise based event, featuring 33 matches, will end on February 3.
- Chai pe Charcha gets police protection, EC officials to check on poll norm violation
- Complaint against Kejriwal: Kutch cops gather evidence
- AAP chief to hold first public meeting in Gujarat today
- Nominations for North Bangalore primary begin
- ‘Our campaigning in the state will be out of the box’
- ‘Aai Retire Hotey’ to take the stage for 100th time today