South municipality’s New Year gift: Electronic parking tickets
- LIVE Brussels: One dead, several injured after two explosions at Belgium's Zaventem airport
- Meeting with PM Modi 'very positive', says PDP leader Mehbooba Mufti
- University of Hyderabad students attack VC Appa Rao's house, smash furniture
- JNUSU president Kanhaiya Kumar meets Rahul Gandhi
- Rift with RBI Governor Raghuram Rajan? Here's what Jaitley has to say
This year, the South municipal agency will give its residents freedom from harassment meted out by parking attendants.
The agency has decided to make the handheld electronic devices to issue parking tickets mandatory in its jurisdiction.
The devices are connected to the agency's central server and to Delhi Police server. These will allow the drivers to pay for parking through More cards, that are accepted in the DTC buses and the Delhi Metro.
Explaining the newly drafted parking policy, Mayor (South) Savita Gupta said the handheld device will ensure that correct amount is charged from the drivers. They will also allow the corporation to estimate the money earned by each parking site.
The South corporation is yet to procure the handheld devices, which will have SIM and SAM (Secure Access Module) card slots.
"SIM card will attach the handheld devices to central server of corporation. Thus, we will know when a car enters the parking lot and how much is charged. Parking attendants won't be able to park extra cars at the site as we will draw a yellow line to mark the parking area. They will not be able to overcharge. SAM card will have encryption codes that will make the device data transmission to central server secure. The data cannot be intercepted," Gupta said.
Each parking will have two to three devices, in case one develops a snag. "A device can store 1,000 data entries at a time. Our server will alert the officials if anybody tries to alter the specifications of a device," a senior official said.
The data forwarded to the police department will help track stolen vehicles. "When the registration number of a stolen vehicle is fed in the device at a parking facility, the attendant will get to know about the status of the vehicle and he can inform the police," the official said.
- Veterans of the Assam Movement now fight polls. But the bitterness and the issues linger on
- When Bhagat Singh’s clarion call ‘Inquilab Zindabad’, it was voluntarily accepted
- Delhi needs an authority suitably empowered and responsible for safe drinking water
- Clutching at Kanhaiya
- In Bangladesh’s diminishing democratic space, a prominent editor is at the receiving end
- Supreme Court has the opportunity to enforce the true Islamic law on divorce