SP candidate only crorepati in fray
- All attempts being made to free soldier in Pakistan captivity: Rajnath Singh
- SC cancels Mohammad Shahabuddin's bail, orders police to take him into custody
- Congress and I stand by PM Narendra Modi: Rahul Gandhi on surgical strikes
- Bihar liquor ban: Patna HC strikes down govt's prohibition law, terms it 'illegal'
- LIVE: PM Modi calls second Cabinet Committee on Security meet
Samajwadi Party nominee Ashutosh Upadhyay is the richest among the 12 candidates who are in the fray for the Bhatpar Rani Assembly by-election in Deoria district, which will be held on February 23. The by-election has been caused by the death of his father, former sports minister Kameshwar Upadhyay.
Ashutosh, a teacher by profession, has assets worth around Rs 1.12 crore which include movable assets of Rs 19 lakh and four immovable properties of value Rs 93.80 lakh. He has residential properties in Ghaziabad, non-agricultural property in Lucknow, an agricultural as well as a commercial property in Deoria. Ashutosh owns a revolver and a carbine which he got in succession.
BJP's Rajkumar Shahi has assets of around Rs 37 lakh which include immovable properties of Rs 20 lakh and immovable assets of around Rs 17 lakh. He owns a SUV and a single barrel gun. He has a loan of Rs 2 lakh that he had taken for purchasing a vehicle. Shahi holds the degree of "Shastri" from Kameshwar Singh Sanskrit University, Darbhanga.
Congress candidate Raghvendra has assets worth Rs 31 lakh. Raghvendra does not own arms but has gold worth Rs 1 lakh while his wife has jewellery worth Rs 10 lakh. Raghvendra in his nomination papers has declared that his profession is farming. But in the same nomination papers, he has declared that he does not own any agriculture land. He holds a degree of Masters in Business Administration that he received from an institute in Bihar.
BSP's Binda and her husband have assets of value Rs 19 lakh. Binda has movable assets of Rs 6.9 lakh which include a revolver of Rs 65,000 and gold worth Rs 1.50 lakh. Her husband has movable properties of Rs 9.36 lakh that include a single barrel gun, a SUV, a motor cycle.
- The emergence of Akhilesh Yadav as a popular leader is an indicator of the same-old in the SP
- Poverty caused by expenditure on health has doubled in India in the past 15 years
- India’s aggressive response to Nawaz Sharif’s lies at the UN was a clear indicator of the things to come
- Let’s not allow debate about what it means to be Indian to be held hostage to jingoists and bigots
- People, policymakers can be led by subtly influencing their choice architecture
- Edit - Defining moment