SP fields comedian Raju Srivastava for LS polls
- Espionage racket with ISI links busted in Jammu, Kolkata; BSF jawan among five arrested
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to attend UN climate summit
- Nepal releases 13 SSB personnel after brief detention
- Turkey to hand over body of dead Russian pilot to Moscow: PM
- Bhushan challenges Kejriwal for public debate on Lokpal Bill
The Samajwadi Party has decided to field stand-up comedian Raju Srivastava from Kanpur in the next Lok Sabha election. SP national general secretary Ramgopal Yadav announced his candidature on Wednesday.
The party also named sitting MPs Bal Kumar Patel for Mirzapur and Radhey Mohan Singh for Ghazipur.
Raju Srivastava, who hails from Kidwai Nagar locality of Kanpur, had campaigned extensively for Congress MLA Ajay Kanpur in Kidwai Nagar constituency during the Assembly elections last year. He had also campaigned for the Congress in the Bihar Assembly elections.
Presently, Kanpur is represented by Union Coal Minister Sriprakash Jaiswal who has held this seat since 1999. Bal Kumar Patel is the brother of slain dacoit Dadua. Patel's son Ram Singh is Samajwadi Party MLA from Patti in Pratapgarh.
- Ahead of the Paris summit, India has been again targeted as a spoiler
- Shunning coal not viable for India; World needs to come together to make it cleaner
- Detained at IFFI: You can chain our hands, but you can't choke our voices
- How 'secular', 'socialist' came to be part of Constitution, and why they remain
- Next door Nepal: Blaming the neighbour
- True economic reform is one that makes a clean break from the past