SP includes SCs in its recommended list of backward castes
- Rahul on leave before budget session, BJP says people have already sent Cong on long leave
- 21 more deaths due to swine flu, toll reaches 833
- Anna protests against Land Acquisition Bill in Delhi, lashes out at Modi govt
- Budget: Finance Minister may announce policy plans to combat blackmoney
- Land Acquisition Act "suitably refined": President Pranab Mukherjee
The SP leaders have been saying that they will recommend to the Centre to include 17 backward castes in the list of SCs. These 17 castes are Kahar, Kashyap, Dhivar, Dhimar, Kevat, Mallah, Nishad, Bind, Gond, Kumhar, Prajapati, Bhar, Rajbhar, Machhua, Manjhi, Turaiha and Batham.
In order to gather support of these castes for their move, the party is organising a rally at its state headquarters on Saturday, which will be addressed by Mulayam Singh and Akhilesh.
Similarly, Turaiha is another caste which already exists in the list of SCs for UP. Lautan Ram Nishad, national secretary of the National Association of Fishermen, said the Turaiha caste already exists in the list of 66 Scheduled Castes recongnised in UP.