SP includes SCs in its recommended list of backward castes
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Narendra Modi slams Jayanti Natarajan; polling underway in 12 states
- Admiral Dhowan appointed as new Navy chief
- Is there a vikas vote? Healthier babies make not a whimper on campaign pitch in Hazaribagh
- Alagiri backs âgreat manâ Modi as PM
- CAG empowered to examine accounts of private telecom companies: Supreme Court
The SP leaders have been saying that they will recommend to the Centre to include 17 backward castes in the list of SCs. These 17 castes are Kahar, Kashyap, Dhivar, Dhimar, Kevat, Mallah, Nishad, Bind, Gond, Kumhar, Prajapati, Bhar, Rajbhar, Machhua, Manjhi, Turaiha and Batham.
In order to gather support of these castes for their move, the party is organising a rally at its state headquarters on Saturday, which will be addressed by Mulayam Singh and Akhilesh.
Similarly, Turaiha is another caste which already exists in the list of SCs for UP. Lautan Ram Nishad, national secretary of the National Association of Fishermen, said the Turaiha caste already exists in the list of 66 Scheduled Castes recongnised in UP.
- Activist, her aide booked for cheating in attempt to frame acquitted murder accused
- Extended Monorail running hours fails to pull crowd
- HC orders action against Essel World for causing harm to mangroves
- Cops crack bar girl’s murder case after waiter’s tip-off
- Railway to provide plastic pouches for commuter IDs
- Last safety check for Metro to begin April 18