SP includes SCs in its recommended list of backward castes
- Stolen passports, missing debris fuel fears of foul play
- Out of the 50,000 homes for the poor, not even 50 constructed in Gujarat by Modi: Kejriwal
- BJP complains to EC against Rahul over RSS remarks, seeks derecognition of Congress
- Varanasi seat row: RSS worried but believes BJP will solve it
- Subrata Roy arrest row: The not-so-beautiful story
The SP leaders have been saying that they will recommend to the Centre to include 17 backward castes in the list of SCs. These 17 castes are Kahar, Kashyap, Dhivar, Dhimar, Kevat, Mallah, Nishad, Bind, Gond, Kumhar, Prajapati, Bhar, Rajbhar, Machhua, Manjhi, Turaiha and Batham.
In order to gather support of these castes for their move, the party is organising a rally at its state headquarters on Saturday, which will be addressed by Mulayam Singh and Akhilesh.
Similarly, Turaiha is another caste which already exists in the list of SCs for UP. Lautan Ram Nishad, national secretary of the National Association of Fishermen, said the Turaiha caste already exists in the list of 66 Scheduled Castes recongnised in UP.
- Patient’s death sparks protests, LNJP ward vandalised
- Under EC watch, money spent on campaigns on social media
- Woman used lipstick to write suicide note on wall: Police
- Unilever buys majority share in China water business
- Sisters married to a Nitish aide, one a JD(U) MLA, one an RJD nominee
- AAP men spar with Kejriwal, question LS tickets to Ashutosh, Rajmohan