SP MLA booked for killing murder witness
- Navy officer dies on board INS Kolkata off Mumbai
- SC calls Sahara proposal an âinsultâ, Subrata Roy to stay in jail till March 11
- I'm not a terrorist, Modi should have met me: Arvind Kejriwal
- Modi to hold 'Chai Pe Charcha' on women empowerment on Saturday
- Will not campaign for any candidate, says Anna Hazare
POLICE Thursday lodged an FIR against Samajwadi Party MLA from Tanda in Ambedkar Nagar Azimul Haq Pahalwan and three others for allegedly killing the witness in a murder case on Wednesday night.
The victim, Ram Mohan Gupta, 22, was a witness to the murder of his uncle and Hindu Yuva Vahini leader Ram Babu Gupta, which took place in March this year.
Ram Babu's murder had led to communal clashes in Tanda in March and curfew was clamped in the area.
On Wednesday, Ram Mohan was shot by a group of men while he was sitting at his medicine shop in Aliganj area of Tanda circle. He was carried to Ambedkar Nagar district hospital where he was declared brought dead.
Police Thursday lodged an FIR against Haq and three of his alleged associates, Irfan, Shahid and Rehman, all residents of Tanda town, under sections 302 (murder) and 120-B (criminal conspiracy) of the IPC on the complaint of the victim's uncle Vedprakash Gupta.
Ambedkar Nagar SP Sunil Saxena said the FIR has been lodged on the basis of the complaint lodged by the victim's family members.
He said the MLA has been accused for the conspiracy of the murder.
When asked about Ram Mohan being a witness in the murder of Ram Babu, Saxena said they were still trying to find out if it was so.
However, Vedprakash alleged that Ram Babu, who was a leader of BJP MP from Gorakhpur Yogi Adityanath's organisation, Hindu Yuva Vahini, had organised a "massive agitation" against Pahalwan in August 2012 "as the MLA was shielding a rape accused". He said this was the reason why Ram Babu was killed and now his nephew has been murdered at the behest of Pahalwan.
Police had arrested three persons Irfan, Abu Bakr and Mukul Mishra in connection with the murder of Ram Babu.
- Chai pe Charcha gets police protection, EC officials to check on poll norm violation
- Complaint against Kejriwal: Kutch cops gather evidence
- AAP chief to hold first public meeting in Gujarat today
- Nominations for North Bangalore primary begin
- ‘Our campaigning in the state will be out of the box’
- ‘Aai Retire Hotey’ to take the stage for 100th time today