SP MLA booked for killing murder witness
- 5th phase of elections: Moderate to high turnout on biggest voting day, halfway mark crossed
- Congress releases CD of Uma Bharti calling Narendra Modi 'Vinash Purush'
- April 17 poll roundup: Rajnath says only Modi will be PM; Jaswant Singh writes to EC against Raje
- IPL 7: Yuvraj Singh roars back to form
- Admiral Dhowan appointed as new Navy chief
Police Thursday lodged an FIR against Samajwadi Party MLA from Tanda in Ambedkar Nagar Azimul Haq Pahalwan and three others for allegedly killing the witness in a murder case on Wednesday night.
The victim, Ram Mohan Gupta, 22, was a witness to the murder of his uncle and Hindu Yuva Vahini leader c, which took place in March this year.
Ram Babu's murder had led to communal clashes in Tanda in March and curfew was clamped in the area.
On Wednesday, Ram Mohan was shot by a group of men while he was sitting at his medicine shop in Aliganj area of Tanda circle. He was carried to Ambedkar Nagar district hospital where he was declared brought dead.
Police Thursday lodged an FIR against Haq and three of his alleged associates, Irfan, Shahid and Rehman, all residents of Tanda town, under sections 302 (murder) and 120-B (criminal conspiracy) of the IPC on the complaint of the victim's uncle Vedprakash Gupta.
Ambedkar Nagar SP Sunil Saxena said the FIR has been lodged on the basis of the complaint lodged by the victim's family members.
He said the MLA has been accused for the conspiracy of the murder.
When asked about Ram Mohan being a witness in the murder of Ram Babu, Saxena said they were still trying to find out if it was so.
However, Vedprakash alleged that Ram Babu, who was a leader of BJP MP from Gorakhpur Yogi Adityanath's organisation, Hindu Yuva Vahini, had organised a "massive agitation" against Pahalwan in August 2012 "as the MLA was shielding a rape accused". He said this was the reason why Ram Babu was killed and now his nephew has been murdered at the behest of Pahalwan.
Police had arrested three persons Irfan, Abu Bakr and Mukul Mishra in connection with the murder of Ram Babu.
- Don’t look at my candidates, votes for me: Maya to Dalits
- AAP biggies focus on Vishwas, Kejri seats, other units suffer
- TMC captured booths in Cooch Behar, says Left; demands re-poll
- Ties with BJP under strain, TDP says may go it alone in Seemandhra
- BJP will emerge a major force in Bengal: Advani
- ‘Maintain birth data; see how many go to school after 5 years’