SP MLA son ‘slaps’ woman lecturer
- My government will not be vindictive: Narendra Modi on Robert Vadra
- Serious allegations against N Srinivasan in IPL spot-fixing probe report, keep him away from BCCI: Supreme Court
- Rahul tears into Narendra Modi's 'toffee model' development in Gujarat
- Karnataka: At least six burnt to death, 12 injured as bus catches fire
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Sonia to address rally in Telangana; Smriti Irani files nomination
In February last year, Shukla said Abhinav had hurled expletives at her and she had complained to the university administration. Abhinav was then suspended, but his suspension was revoked after his parents submitted a written apology.
However, Abhinav kept harassing her with derogatory remarks on the campus, on the phone and on social networking sites. She said she had already stopped giving lectures in Abhinav's class and avoided going to the floor of the building where he studied.
On Thursday, Abhinav came to the classroom of LLB sixth semester, where she was teaching, and started to make derogatory remarks. He was taken out by his friends, but later when she left the class after completing her lecture, she found Abhinav waiting outside. He again started abusing her and also slapped her. On coming to know of the incident, other teachers gathered and demanded immediate action against the student.
Later, Shukla lodged a complaint with Chinhat police station. Police booked Abhinav under Sections of IPC 354 (assault or criminal force on a woman with intent to outrage her modesty) and 354-D (continuously harassing a girl by following her or staring at her).
Additional SP of (Trans-Gomti) Habibul Hasan said while the offence under IPC 354 was bailable, the one under 354-D was non-bailable. He said action against the accused will be taken after investigation and collecting evidence.
Sub-Inspector Brijlal Verma, who is investigating the case, said he had recorded the victim's statement and had sought details of teachers and students present at the time of incident from the university administration.