SP MLA's son who 'slapped' teacher expelled
- SC stays release of all the seven convicts in the Rajiv Gandhi assassination case
- Admiral DK Joshi was disturbed, requested me to accept resignation: AK Antony
- Narendra Modi beats Rahul Gandhi in popularity, says US think tank
- Lok Sabha polls: For Paswan & son, Gujarat 2002 is history for 2014
- Jayanthi scuttled, Moily clears GM crop trials
AMITY University on Monday expelled Abhinav Gupta, son of Samajwadi Party MLA from Bidhuna Pramod Gupta, for allegedly slapping and abusing a teacher, Archana Shukla, on Thursday.
The decision was taken after an internal inquiry committee, set up on the day of the incident, submitted its report.
"Based on eyewitnesses' account in the report of the three-member inquiry committee, the university has expelled Abhinav Gupta; he cannot take admission in any course in any of the campuses of Amity University," said university spokesperson Ashutosh Chaubey.
The report included statements from members of the staff and students, Chaubey said. The committee was chaired by Psychology department head Manju Aggarwal and included teachers Abhishek Kumar and Pant Rishi Dev Sharma. "We have intimated our decision to the accused through postal mail as well as telephone," Chaubey said.
The parents of the accused did not turn up despite being called by the university authorities. "The parents of the accused had been asked to appear with regard to the incident but they have not appeared till now," Chaubey said.
Abhinav, a BA-LLB student of the university, allegedly bore a grudge against Archana Shukla as she had refused to increase his attendance despite his long absence last year. Since then, he had been harassing her.
After the incident, Archana had informed university authorities and also complained to the police.
- Fancy numbers: RTO in PCMC earns Rs 8 crore
- Alarm in Ukraine as Putin orders surprise army drills on border
- Arrests made but two sensational murders still unsolved
- Infosys ex-CFO not to contest polls for AAP
- Monsoon, not Manmohan, led to agri growth: Yashwant
- Now, BJP workers to donate blood equal to Modi’s weight