SP MLA's son who 'slapped' teacher expelled
- Siachen avalanche: Lance Naik Hanamanthappa passes away three days after miraculous rescue
- Dr RK Pachauri goes on leave as TERI Chancellor, won't attend March 7 convocation
- Ishrat Jahan's mother on Headley deposition: Ploy by those guilty to salvage their names
- Write-offs a scam, small loans rarely in it, says former RBI Deputy Governor
- David Headley received money from ISI, LeT and Dr Rana
AMITY University on Monday expelled Abhinav Gupta, son of Samajwadi Party MLA from Bidhuna Pramod Gupta, for allegedly slapping and abusing a teacher, Archana Shukla, on Thursday.
The decision was taken after an internal inquiry committee, set up on the day of the incident, submitted its report.
"Based on eyewitnesses' account in the report of the three-member inquiry committee, the university has expelled Abhinav Gupta; he cannot take admission in any course in any of the campuses of Amity University," said university spokesperson Ashutosh Chaubey.
The report included statements from members of the staff and students, Chaubey said. The committee was chaired by Psychology department head Manju Aggarwal and included teachers Abhishek Kumar and Pant Rishi Dev Sharma. "We have intimated our decision to the accused through postal mail as well as telephone," Chaubey said.
The parents of the accused did not turn up despite being called by the university authorities. "The parents of the accused had been asked to appear with regard to the incident but they have not appeared till now," Chaubey said.
Abhinav, a BA-LLB student of the university, allegedly bore a grudge against Archana Shukla as she had refused to increase his attendance despite his long absence last year. Since then, he had been harassing her.