SP student leader booked for ‘assaulting’ Gorakhpur varsity V-C
- Parliament LIVE: Expert committee to review use of pellet guns, says Rajnath
- Dalit fury spills over to Gujarat streets, 9 more try to end lives; CM meets family assaulted in Una
- Hit by campus protests, FTII makes new students sign ‘decorum, decency’ affidavit
- Dalits are 'soft target' for cow vigilantes: fact finding team
- Suspicious bag found inside Dubai-Amritsar SpiceJet flight
Gorakhpur police have booked Samajwadi Party's student wing Samajwadi Chhatra Sabha's national secretary Hareshyam Singh for attempt to murder in connection with the alleged assault on Gorakhpur University Vice-Chancellor P C Trivedi on the university campus last Thursday.
Police have lodged an FIR against Singh and four of his unidentified associates at Cantonment police station under various sections of IPC including 307 (attempt to murder), 353 (Assault or criminal force to deter public servant from discharge of his duty) and 506 (criminal intimidation) on the complaint of the university's chief proctor O P Pandey.
Pandey complained that Singh and his associates had assaulted the V-C and also made a "fatal attack" by hurling stones at his vehicle on Thursday when they had come to meet the V-C demanding that the dates of student union election be declared soon.
- Pakistan’s dependence on Saudi Arabia stands in their way against Islamic terrorism
- Protest over the demolition of Ambedkar Bhavan reveals a divided Dalit community
- Punjab’s drug problem is a national security issue
- Simultaneous elections will allow governments to devote four years for governance
- UN faces a crisis, but its new secretary general is unlikely to upset tradition
- South China Sea verdict has changed the ground rules for future engagement with China