SP student leader booked for ‘assaulting’ Gorakhpur varsity V-C
- Arvind Kejriwal hits back at Jung on cancelling secy appointments
- US releases documents recovered in raid that killed Osama bin Laden
- Al Qaeda describes 26/11 Mumbai attack as 'heroic Fidai', 'blessed' operation
- Key member of Modi's poll campaign team likely to work for Nitish Kumar
- Food inspectors order recall of Maggi noodles, say it contains excess lead
Gorakhpur police have booked Samajwadi Party's student wing Samajwadi Chhatra Sabha's national secretary Hareshyam Singh for attempt to murder in connection with the alleged assault on Gorakhpur University Vice-Chancellor P C Trivedi on the university campus last Thursday.
Police have lodged an FIR against Singh and four of his unidentified associates at Cantonment police station under various sections of IPC including 307 (attempt to murder), 353 (Assault or criminal force to deter public servant from discharge of his duty) and 506 (criminal intimidation) on the complaint of the university's chief proctor O P Pandey.
Pandey complained that Singh and his associates had assaulted the V-C and also made a "fatal attack" by hurling stones at his vehicle on Thursday when they had come to meet the V-C demanding that the dates of student union election be declared soon.
After the incident, Trivedi had also written to Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav for taking action against Singh who belongs to Samajwadi Party.