SP student leader booked for ‘assaulting’ Gorakhpur varsity V-C
- NSG entry: 'Any exemption to India must also apply to Pakistan'
- Brussels: Anti-terror operation underway at City 2 shopping centre
- Karnataka: 8 school children dead, 12 injured in car-bus collision
- PM Modi pitches for treating diabetes through Yoga
- DA case: CBI questions Himachal CM Virbhadra Singh's son
Gorakhpur police have booked Samajwadi Party's student wing Samajwadi Chhatra Sabha's national secretary Hareshyam Singh for attempt to murder in connection with the alleged assault on Gorakhpur University Vice-Chancellor P C Trivedi on the university campus last Thursday.
Police have lodged an FIR against Singh and four of his unidentified associates at Cantonment police station under various sections of IPC including 307 (attempt to murder), 353 (Assault or criminal force to deter public servant from discharge of his duty) and 506 (criminal intimidation) on the complaint of the university's chief proctor O P Pandey.
Pandey complained that Singh and his associates had assaulted the V-C and also made a "fatal attack" by hurling stones at his vehicle on Thursday when they had come to meet the V-C demanding that the dates of student union election be declared soon.
- It is sad to see Rajan return to Chicago. But he must take his share of the blame
- Previous judicial pronouncements suggest AAP MLAs may be on a safe wicket
- For the youth, Raghuram Rajan created a novel space and owned it
- India’s high-wire NSG diplomacy reveals a new level of self-assurance
- Informalisation of the workforce now extends to the government sector
- The difference this time was the transformation of India from a friend to an ally