SP suspends ‘bootlegger’ cop, DIG brings him back a day later
- Haji Ali dargah will have to open doors for women after Bombay HC ruling
- My vision for India is rapid transformation, not gradual evolution: PM Modi
- Panel works on alternative to pellets: Balls of pepper, capsicum gas
- Scorpene leak: Firms to be blacklisted only in cases of clear criminality, says Parrikar
- Sheena Bora murder: Taped conversations emerging on media submitted in court, says CBI
A police constable suspended by a superintendent of police for allegedly being in league with bootleggers was reinstated a day later by a deputy inspector general of police.
Last week, Ahmedabad (rural) SP Gagandeep Gambhir transferred police constable Yashwantsinh, who was earlier posted with the local Crime Branch under her watch, to Viramgam and ordered an inquiry against him.
Soon afterwards, a vigilance team raided a liquor den in Detroj, which falls under the jurisdiction of Gambhir, and seized Indian Made Foreign Liquor (IMFL) worth over Rs 1 lakh.
Apparently, Yashwantsinh had tipped off the vigilance team about the liquor den to settle scores with Gambhir. When Gambhir discovered this, she placed Yashwantsinh under suspension.
A day later on Wednesday, DIG (Ahmedabad range) R B Brahmbhatt revoked the suspension order and reinstated the constable in the Rapid Response (RR) cell, which is under his charge.
Brahmbhatt said, "I have not been briefed about the details of this case. But the suspension has no basis. There are clear-cut government guidelines that no one can be suspended without proper evidence. That is why I have reinstated him."
- Pakistan army has a battle to win: The corruption within
- Anger of Irom Sharmila’s supporters should not be dismissed as selfishness or cynicism
- You keep the cow’s tail: A post card from Una, Gujarat, August 15
- History shows why Balochistan is not an internal matter of Pakistan
- The use of technology will be key to making GST a success
- Sedition law cannot be used against honest views, expressed peacefully