SP wins Bhatparrani by-election
- Arvind Kejriwal hits back at Jung on cancelling secy appointments
- US releases documents recovered in raid that killed Osama bin Laden
- Al Qaeda describes 26/11 Mumbai attack as 'heroic Fidai', 'blessed' operation
- Key member of Modi's poll campaign team likely to work for Nitish Kumar
- Food inspectors order recall of Maggi noodles, say it contains excess lead
Samajwadi Party candidate Ashutosh Upadhyaya today won the bypoll for Bhatparrani Assembly seat, defeating his nearest rival, an independent candidate, by 34,102 votes.
Upadhyaya alias Babloo, son of former Uttar Pradesh Minister Kameshwar Upadhyaya, got 73,100 votes, while the independent candidate, Sabha Kunwar, was polled 38,998 votes.
According to returning officer and District Magistrate Kumar Ravikant Singh, Upadhyaya defeated Kunwar by a margin of 34,102 votes.
BSP candidate Bindra Kushwaha was on the third place with 24,711 votes. The by-election was necessitated after the death of former state Sports Minister Kameshwar Upadhyaya in October last year.