SP wins Bhatparrani by-election
Samajwadi Party candidate Ashutosh Upadhyaya today won the bypoll for Bhatparrani Assembly seat, defeating his nearest rival, an independent candidate, by 34,102 votes.
Upadhyaya alias Babloo, son of former Uttar Pradesh Minister Kameshwar Upadhyaya, got 73,100 votes, while the independent candidate, Sabha Kunwar, was polled 38,998 votes.
According to returning officer and District Magistrate Kumar Ravikant Singh, Upadhyaya defeated Kunwar by a margin of 34,102 votes.
BSP candidate Bindra Kushwaha was on the third place with 24,711 votes. The by-election was necessitated after the death of former state Sports Minister Kameshwar Upadhyaya in October last year.
- Modi wave is a myth, says Siddaramaiah
- In Mandya, discordant notes in show of Cong unity
- ‘Fakir’ Jankar takes on Pawar might in battle against ‘dynasty’
- Ballot paper in Braille to help blind persons cast their vote
- AAP volunteer attacked
- 64-year-old fights for Punjabi language, gets little support from political parties