Spare us in 2014: Film trends we would not like to see this year
- Jigisha Ghosh murder case: Two convicts get death sentence, life imprisonment for one
- Ban pellet guns in Kashmir, Omar Abdullah-led delegation asks PM Modi
- PM Modi, Afghan President Ghani jointly inaugurate renovated Stor Palace
- AAP doesn't have money to fight election: Kejriwal
- Kicking off UP poll campaign, Mayawati slams BJP-RSS, SP, is soft on Congress
Anyone who doesn't believe in miracles isn't a realist,' said Billy Wilder, famous for his wit dished into the elixir of cinematic cynicism. Like Wilder, we already know what's in store for us with the expected releases in 2014. But then, we are hopeful. And in that hope, we are listing a few things we don't want to see in the freshly baked 52 weeks of 2014.
No More Southern Spice
We are still reeling from the past successes of hits from the southern region of India. For creative liberty of the filmdom, this success has been nothing less than catastrophic. Now every filmmaker packs one big star with ear splitting sound effects to serve south superhits. This year, we would like to exempt ourselves from such misery. Give us some original, distinctive and apt stuff.
Dear lyricists, the drought in your poetic land is too severe. Please plant a sapling of inspired writing or take a cue from our dear old Gulzar saab. He writes item songs such as Kajra re or Beedi jalaile but with so much lyrical flamboyance. We don't want to be moralists and call these vulgar, but it's high time you stop producing such songs and give a break to poor Munni, Sheila, Pinky, Chameli and their ilk. And we promise that we'll never desert you.
Don't Kid A Kidder
The plastering of anti-smoking blurbs in films implies that our dear Censor Board thinks we are children of the lesser God, as if our right hand hasn't seen our left hand since we were born. Woody Allen did the right thing by showing
middle finger to our censor's mother pious
nature. Wipe out those blurbs please.
Can we have less of plagiarised ideas and tunes lifted from here, there and everywhere? Look at the internet. We are all exposed to cinema and sounds from different countries, be it Korean or Scandinavian. The day is not far when this dark corner will turn absolutely pitch black. If you can't do without it, go and make a certified copy.
- Farm incomes may not revive despite good monsoon
- India’s new line that Pak will have to pay for cross-border terror was overdue
- Just how did Pakistan become so central to the definition of Indian patriotism?
- Why AAP needs to go back to school
- Next door Nepal: Detente in Kathmandu
- PM's Balochistan policy: Gameplan, gambit or gamble?