Speaking in the same voice
- SC slams BCCI over Lodha report: Better fall in line, or we will make you fall in line
- SAARC Summit: Now, Bangladesh, Bhutan and Afghanistan say they won't be going to Islamabad
- To isolate Pak, India pulls out of Islamabad SAARC summit
- Global competitiveness index: India jumps 16 ranks for second time, now at 39
- Shimon Peres, last surviving link to Israel's founding fathers, dies at 93
Discordant voices speaking about fiscal measures have given way to a unified acknowledgment of the challenge the Indian economy has not faced since 1991. For instance, containing the consolidated deficit of the Centre and States to 5.4 per cent of the GDP within 2014-15 as per the new fiscal responsibility and budget management despite making additional provision on education, healthcare and food security would require an adjustment of almost 5 to 6 percentage points of GDP.
Subhomoy is a Deputy Editor based in New Delhi.
- Power struggle within weakens Samajwadi Party already undergoing an identity crisis in UP
- Preventive detention is being routinised as an instrument of state repression
- The challenge of garbage is set to grow, solid waste management plans need to be implemented
- After Uri, a replay of a 2001 predicament
- Any response to Uri must factor in Pakistani state’s relationship with non-state actors
- It is assumed that Blacks will vote 93 per cent for Clinton, seven per cent for Trump