Special measles vaccination drive targets 1.14 cr children
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Record 79 pc polling in Bengal; Jaswant Singh writes to EC against Raje
- Congress releases CD of Uma Bharti calling Narendra Modi 'Vinash Purush'
- Admiral Dhowan appointed as new Navy chief
- CAG empowered to examine accounts of private telecom companies: Supreme Court
- IPL 7 Live Cricket Score, DD vs RCB: RCB pick early wicket as Starc removes Mayank
The UP government will kickstart the second phase of a special vaccination drive against measles from December 3. Around 1.14 crore children of 22 districts of western Uttar Pradesh will be covered under this drive, organised in collaboration with the UNICEF.
Measles vaccination is already a part of the routine immunisation in which children between 9-12 months of age are administered the vaccines. However, because of low immunisation coverage under routine immunisation, the Centre is organising the special campaign for measles vaccination in 14 states, including UP.
In the first phase of the campaign carried out last year, only three districts of Ghazipur, Deoria and Ballia were covered. In the second phase, all the children between the age of nine months to 10 years will be immunised.
As per the recommendations of the National Technical Group of Immunisation, a second dose of measles vaccine increases the immunity against the disease up to 95 per cent.
For the three-week long drive, the government has been training health officials for the last two months. In the first week of the drive, the campaign will be organised in schools, and for the remaining two weeks, the health staff will conduct community based and door-to-door campaign. Around 1,000 monitors from WHO as well as others from UNICEF have been deployed in the 22 districts to constantly monitor the campaign.
The remaining 50 districts of the state will be covered under third, fourth and fifth phase of similar immunisation campaigns to be organised in February, March and April next year, respectively.
Phase II vaccination will be conducted in Saharanpur, Muzaffarnagar, Prabudhnagar, Meerut, Ghaziabad, Bulandshahr, Gautambudh Nagar, Baghpat, Panchsheel Nagar, Moradabad, Rampur, Bijnor, Jyotiba Phule Nagar, Bhimnagar, Aligarh, Etah, Kanshiramnagar, Hathras, Bareilly, Badaun, Shahjahanpur and Pilibhit.
No swine flu death in UP this year
- Activist, her aide booked for cheating in attempt to frame acquitted murder accused
- Extended Monorail running hours fails to pull crowd
- HC orders action against Essel World for causing harm to mangroves
- Cops crack bar girl’s murder case after waiter’s tip-off
- Railway to provide plastic pouches for commuter IDs
- Last safety check for Metro to begin April 18