Special measles vaccination drive targets 1.14 cr children
- LIVE: Ashutosh, Shazia Ilmi taken away for questioning over clashes with BJP
- I am more qualified for PM post than Narendra Modi: Nitish Kumar
- Ukraine crisis: Crimea sets referendum on whether to join Russia
- SC adjourns Centreâs plea restraining TN from releasing Rajiv killers till March 26
- Mumbai dailies laud Kamat, he denies he paid for the ânewsâ
The UP government will kickstart the second phase of a special vaccination drive against measles from December 3. Around 1.14 crore children of 22 districts of western Uttar Pradesh will be covered under this drive, organised in collaboration with the UNICEF.
Measles vaccination is already a part of the routine immunisation in which children between 9-12 months of age are administered the vaccines. However, because of low immunisation coverage under routine immunisation, the Centre is organising the special campaign for measles vaccination in 14 states, including UP.
In the first phase of the campaign carried out last year, only three districts of Ghazipur, Deoria and Ballia were covered. In the second phase, all the children between the age of nine months to 10 years will be immunised.
As per the recommendations of the National Technical Group of Immunisation, a second dose of measles vaccine increases the immunity against the disease up to 95 per cent.
For the three-week long drive, the government has been training health officials for the last two months. In the first week of the drive, the campaign will be organised in schools, and for the remaining two weeks, the health staff will conduct community based and door-to-door campaign. Around 1,000 monitors from WHO as well as others from UNICEF have been deployed in the 22 districts to constantly monitor the campaign.
The remaining 50 districts of the state will be covered under third, fourth and fifth phase of similar immunisation campaigns to be organised in February, March and April next year, respectively.
Phase II vaccination will be conducted in Saharanpur, Muzaffarnagar, Prabudhnagar, Meerut, Ghaziabad, Bulandshahr, Gautambudh Nagar, Baghpat, Panchsheel Nagar, Moradabad, Rampur, Bijnor, Jyotiba Phule Nagar, Bhimnagar, Aligarh, Etah, Kanshiramnagar, Hathras, Bareilly, Badaun, Shahjahanpur and Pilibhit.
No swine flu death in UP this year
- No jobs for students of state’s first dairy, fisheries colleges
- Mayor blames contractors for bad roads, says better material to be used now
- New police chief says smooth polls his top priority for now
- Battleground ready, tough fight on cards in Pune
- Gadkari visits PU for cultural event, crowd gets out of control
- Govt vehicle hits two visually impaired students