Speeding bus kills woman in Chakala
- Govt signs peace accord with NSCN(IM), PM Modi calls it 'historic'
- BJP takes U-turn on land bill, agrees to bring back UPA's key provisions
- Crisis deepens: Speaker suspends 25 Cong MPs, Sonia digs in heels
- India to take up Gurdaspur terror attack in NSA-level talks with Pakistan
- JBT scam: Supreme Court upholds jail term of Om Prakash Chautala, his son
A 28-year-old woman working as an assistant manager at a private brokerage firm was mowed down by a speeding bus in Chakala in Andheri East Thursday morning. The police are clueless about the identity of the driver or the registration of the bus.
Police said the victim, Preeti Kamble, worked at Fantage Brokers Pvt Ltd in Andheri East. The incident took place on Mathuradas Vasanji Road, close to Mahakali Caves Road junction.
Kamble lived with her family in Chandanwadi in Thane West, police said. Around 8.30 am, she got off a bus and was crossing the road to go Holy Family Church to pray, when another bus knocked her down. The driver of the bus sped away after the accident.
Police said Kamble suffered severe injuries to the head and was taken to Cooper Hospital, where she was declared dead on arrival.
"Few shops were open in the area at that time and no one noticed anything. A woman at the spot told us how the accident occured, but did not note down the number of the bus. There are no CCTV cameras nearby. We are trying to trace the bus," said sub-inspector Prabhakar Kamble.