Speeding train kills 3 elephants
- Sushma Swaraj rubbishes Pakistan's 4-point peace formula at UN
- US shooting: 15 dead, 20 wounded at Oregon community college; shooter detained
- Day after Dadri lynching, VP Ansari says state has to ensure right to life
- Delhi: Man shoots self at Rajiv Chowk Metro station
- BJP MP compares Modi with Gandhi, Cong says 'sycophancy at its worst'
Three elephants were killed while two got critically injured on Saturday evening after Ranchi-Guwahati Jhanjhar Express hit a group of five elephants. The elephants were hit near Rajabhatkhaoa in Jalpaiguri. The elephants belonged to the Buxa reserve forest in Jalpaiguri, said a senior forest department official. The oncoming train hit an elephant herd which was crossing the railway tracks, officials said. The railways dispatched a special train to take the passengers of the express, which lay stranded, to their respective destinations, NFR sources said. A relief van was also sent to clear the tracks of the dead elephants.
Train engine derails in Malda