Sporting tributes for Nelson Mandela
- 5th phase of elections: Moderate to high turnout on biggest voting day, halfway mark crossed
- Congress releases CD of Uma Bharti calling Narendra Modi 'Vinash Purush'
- April 17 poll roundup: Rajnath says only Modi will be PM; Jaswant Singh writes to EC against Raje
- IPL 7: Yuvraj Singh roars back to form
- Admiral Dhowan appointed as new Navy chief
The sporting community paid tribute to Nelson Mandela after the former South African president and Nobel Peace Prize winner passed away aged 95 on Thursday.
Among the many offerings of respect are the following:
Sachin Tendulkar paid heartfelt tribute to former South Africa president Nelson Mandela, saying the anti-apartheid icon was a "truly inspirational human being".
When I met Mr Mandela it was one of the most memorable days of my life. A truly inspirational human being....— sachin tendulkar (@sachin_rt) December 6, 2013
"He was a true statesman. A remarkable man who understood that sport could build bridges, break down walls, and reveal our common humanity." - International Olympic Committee President Thomas Bach.
"It is in deep mourning that I pay my respects to an extraordinary person, probably one of the greatest humanists of our time and a dear friend of mine: Nelson Rolihlahla Mandela. When he was honoured and cheered by the crowd at Johannesburg's Soccer City stadium on 11 July 2010, it was as a man of the people, a man of their hearts, and it was one of the most moving moments I have ever experienced." - FIFA President Sepp Blatter.
"Mr Mandela was a truly remarkable man. I was honoured to be with him during the historic days of Rugby World Cup 1995 and saw his incredible impact on his nation and his people. His wisdom, intelligence and sheer presence was a wonder to behold." - International Rugby Board Chairman Bernard Lapasset.
"All of our lives are poorer today at the extinguishing of the great beacon of light and hope that led the way for our country through the transition to democracy. 'Madiba' was a great man of vision, determination and integrity who performed a miracle that amazed the world as much as it amazed his fellow countrymen." - South African Rugby Union President Oregan Hoskins.
- Don’t look at my candidates, votes for me: Maya to Dalits
- AAP biggies focus on Vishwas, Kejri seats, other units suffer
- TMC captured booths in Cooch Behar, says Left; demands re-poll
- Ties with BJP under strain, TDP says may go it alone in Seemandhra
- BJP will emerge a major force in Bengal: Advani
- ‘Maintain birth data; see how many go to school after 5 years’