Sports Ministry asks AFI to hold re-election within 2 months
- Finance Minister Arun Jaitley responds to Indian Express story, says 'such adventurism extremely costly'
- The List, Part 1: Garware family, Harish Salve, many others
- Paying for real estate deals: Karnal to London via Bahamas, the route Indiabulls promoter took
- Hidden in files, a trail of 'payoffs' by Italian firm via offshore companies for defence supplies to India
- Panama Papers: Inside the offshore factory of Mossack Secret Fonseca
The Sports Ministry today gave the Athletic Federation of India (AFI) two month's time to amend its constitution and hold re-elections for the post of president, secretary and treasurer.
In a letter to the AFI yesterday, the Ministry had drawn its attention to a few contentious clauses in its constitution and asked it to hold re-elections for a few particular posts.
Ministry today instructed the Federation to carry out the elections within the period of 60 days, or 28 February 2013, whichever is earlier.
"The AFI has been directed to amend its constitution to delete Article XIV(b)(1) and hold elections to the three posts (president, secretary and treasurer) de-novo," a Sports Ministry release said.
"They have been advised that if the above action is not carried out within the period of 60 days, or 28 February 2013, whichever is earlier, the recognition to AFI shall stand withdrawn without any further notice," the release added..
The Ministry also warned of taking action against the AFI if clauses were not amended.
"It was found that Clause XIV(b)(1) of the Constitution of AFI required that a person must be an existing member of the Executive Committee of the AFI for seeking election to the post of President/Secretary.
"This Clause was found to be restricting the potential candidates and was also in violation of the National Sports Development Code 2011. It was also observed that the election to the post of treasurer was also in contravention of the Department of Personnel & Training's Circular dated 22-4-1994," the release said.
- Simultaneous elections to panchayat, assembly and Lok Sabha may be desirable, not feasible
- Migrant test: Europe is being asked to define European values
- A voice, under 35: A difficult moment for student politics
- The new hydrocarbon policy can help India reduce its import dependency
- Next Door Nepal: Symbolic, not substantive
- Dazzle of '7.5% GDP growth' shouldn't blind us to reality