Sri Lanka recalls envoy from Saudi over maid's execution
- Supreme Court strikes down Section 66A, says it violates right to speech
- Pakistan Day: PM greets, MoS VK Singh tweets #disgust
- DK Ravi's death: Govt calls in CBI, tells court he had a ‘relationship’ with batchmate
- Mufti Mohammad Sayeed says will take Army into confidence on AFSPA
- 1987 Hashimpura massacre: The photographs that stand witness
"The reality is that for Sri Lanka, for all its boasts of becoming the 'Wonder of Asia', sending women to foreign countries as housemaids is still the biggest foreign exchange earner for the country," it said.
The Sinhala language dailies were more hard hitting in reflecting public anguish over the execution.
While 'Divayina' urged the immediate recalling of the failed Sri Lankan diplomats based in Riyadh, another Sinhalese daily 'Mawbima' said Sri Lanka had failed to win economic independence so that its daughters are not required to proceed for slavery overseas.