Sri Lanka recalls envoy from Saudi over maid's execution
- BJP nominee to Narendra Modi critics: You will soon be in Pakistan, not India
- China says no to Arunachal youth in India delegation, minister says letâs call off trip
- Lok Sabha polls: Tamizh Talkies
- Upar Narendra, neeche Bhupinder... new BJP slogan echoes in states of rivals
- Elections LIVE 2014: FIR lodged against Ajit Pawar for threatening villagers to vote for Sule
"The reality is that for Sri Lanka, for all its boasts of becoming the 'Wonder of Asia', sending women to foreign countries as housemaids is still the biggest foreign exchange earner for the country," it said.
The Sinhala language dailies were more hard hitting in reflecting public anguish over the execution.
While 'Divayina' urged the immediate recalling of the failed Sri Lankan diplomats based in Riyadh, another Sinhalese daily 'Mawbima' said Sri Lanka had failed to win economic independence so that its daughters are not required to proceed for slavery overseas.