Sri Lankan Navy arrests 22 TN fishermen, tension prevails in coastal areas
- Vote for Supriya Sule or lose water, âthreatensâ Ajit Pawar
- Watch video: Baba Ramdev caught on camera discussing money with BJP candidate
- Nobel laureate Gabriel Garcia Marquez dies at 87
- 5th phase of elections: Moderate to high turnout on biggest voting day
- Election Commission lifts ban on BJP leader Amit Shah after he promises to behave
Amidst stepped up pressure to secure the release of over 220 Tamil Nadu fishermen detained in Sri Lanka, 22 more were arrested by the island navy early today while fishing in the Palk Strait.
The fishermen from Jagadapattinam in Pudukottai District were arrested by Sri Lankan Naval personnel this morning for allegedly fishing in their country's territorial waters and taken to Kangesanthurai Port along with their six boats, officials said quoting information received by them.
The Sri Lankan navalmen also chased away another group of fishermen from here when they were fishing near Katchatheevu after allegedly snapping their fishing nets.
Tension prevailed in the coastal hamlets in Pudukottai following the arrest of 22 fishermen, officials said.
Fishermen in the state had been demanding immediate release of 227 fishermen of Nagapattinam, Karaikal and Pudukottai districts, detained by Lankan Navy over the past few months and even went on a brief strike.
A delegation of fishermen from Tamil Nadu and Puducherry yesterday met Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and urged him to prevail upon Sri Lanka to release their colleagues lodged in jails there.
- As EC website crashes due to overload, party workers use apps to locate voters
- An entire society in Kothrud could not vote
- Chaos, anger across city over missing names
- Mulayam pushes third front, says will stake claim to PM post
- Don’t look at my candidates, votes for me: Maya to Dalits
- AAP biggies focus on Vishwas, Kejri seats, other units suffer