St Xavierís church to celebrate Golden Jubilee
- Rahul on leave before budget session, BJP says people have already sent Cong on long leave
- 21 more deaths due to swine flu, toll reaches 833
- Anna protests against Land Acquisition Bill in Delhi, lashes out at Modi govt
- Budget: Finance Minister may announce policy plans to combat blackmoney
- Land Acquisition Act "suitably refined": President Pranab Mukherjee
St Xavier's Church will celebrate 150 years of its existence on December 3. A nine-day celebration has been planned, culminating in the final feast day celebration.
The first mass was held in 1862 by Rev Fr Basil Haefey SJ and oldest parish activity was the conference in 1867 of St Vincent de Paul who also started St Vincent's School.
"We are in the process of restoring the church art, paintings, structure and building. Our challenge today is to restore and renew the church community so as to be ready for the observance of the 150th anniversary of St Xavier's," said Fr Bertie Rozario, Parish Priest.
He added, "The nine days of solemn prayers will attract many pilgrims from far and wide."
The Novena services will begin on November 24 till Feast day Mass on December 3.