Stamps in honour of Ravi Shankar, Bhimsen Joshi to be released
- Live: Hurriyat hardliner Masarat Alam's release rocks Parliament, Cong seeks PM's statement
- Dimapur lynching: On social media, first ‘rape’, then ‘Bangladesh man’
- Seconds before being stabbed, Indian techie called husband to say she was being followed
- Land acquisition debate: ‘They gave us a window, then went back to 1894’
- Beef ban may spell doom for Dharavi leather trade
The Department of Posts will release commemorative stamps this year honouring eminent musicians of India, including late Pandit Ravi Shankar, Bhimsen Joshi and D K Pattammal and legendary movie actors.
Mallikarjun Mansur, Kumar Gandharva, Gangubai Hangal and Ustad Iliad Khan are the other great musicians who would be honoured in 'The Musicians' series, scheduled for release on July 2, a release said.
Of the 52 stamps planned for release, some had been earmarked to commemorate legendary actors. "This is part of the plan to mark celebrations of 100 Years of Indian Cinema" A series of stamps on beautiful headgear of India, marvellous stepwells, the wild ass of Kutch and Ladakh, traditional Indian hand fans and boats of India have also been included in the year programme.
Another series is planned on 'Means of Transport through the ages' in the country. The department would commemorate the Golden jubilee celebration of Bhakra Nangal dam, Gaiety Heritage Cultural Complex of Shimla (Jawaharlal's Nehru
favourite place), Delhi Gymkhana club and 75th anniversary of Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan this year, it said.
Tribal dwellings across India, traditional embroidery of India, Intelligence Bureau, Railway workshops at Kanchrapara and jamalpur would also be brought to light through postal stamps in 2013.
Under Defence themes, the Officer Training Academy of Chennai, INS Vikramaditya is also planned this year, the release said.