Stand-bye for a day, it's back to Ranji Trophy for Ashok Dinda
- Elections 2014 Live: TMC workers beat up poll officials in Bengal; Rahul attacks Modi over Adani link
- Narendra Modi slams Mamata Banerjee, says she is playing vote bank politics
- #WhyiVoted: Let's hear it from India
- NSCN (IM) takes over Manipur booths, loads EVMs with votes
- Narendra Modi mentions wife Jashodaben in poll affidavit for first time
After Ishant Sharma was diagnosed with viral fever, the BCCI had announced Dinda's name as stand-bye. He joined the squad as Ishant's stand-bye on SOS basis.
Dinda was in Chandigarh when he got a call of his selection and he travelled to Kolkata and from there dashed to Ahmedabad.
"Ashok Dinda will be taking 3:45 pm flight from Ahmedabad and will be back in Kolkata by the evening. Since the first Test has already started, the selectors feel that it is better to release Dinda so that he can utilise the time in a serious match situation against Gujarat," a senior BCCI official said.
According to reliable sources in the Board, the selectors want the 14th and 15th member of the squad to leave for Ranji Trophy duties so that they get proper match practice.
"The idea is that we need two extra players who can be substitute fielders. As for the others, it is better that they go and play the Ranji Trophy which will also help them get good match practice," a senior official informed.
It is learnt that Dinda is likely to join Bengal practice tomorrow ahead of their match against Gujarat.
Bengal's chairman of selection committee Deep Dasgupta wants to look at the positive side.
"I would say Dinda should feel good about the fact that his short call-up meant that selectors now feel that he is the number one back-up pacer in the country after Zaheer Khan, Umesh Yadav and Ishant. Also, it will be a good thing as he would be able to bowl a good 25 overs," the former India player said.
There were also reports that Murali Vijay might also be released for Tamil Nadu's home Ranji game against Maharashtra.
- Neemu Bhoumik seeks LS entry; people’s issues, Raiganj roots in mind
- Another Bittu, Simerjit file papers as Independents
- Firing at district food and civil supplies office, one injured
- Day after stand-off with EC, Didi vows ‘revenge’ over ‘insult’ by Delhi
- ‘Hate’ speech: Amit Shah moves HC for stay on arrest, quashing of FIRs
- Adarsh Shastri ‘covers’ for AAP’s Jaaferi