State BJP minority cellís new chief dies of heart attack
- Hang me if I have committed crime, no apology: Modi
- Fifth phase of Lok Sabha elections in 121 seats on Thursday
- April 16 campaign roundup: Narendra Modi in firing line of Gandhis
- N Srinivasan faces serious charges, canât return until probe: Supreme Court
- Kolkata Knight Riders seal opener in comprehensive fashion
Haji Kader Salot (51), who was appointed president of the Gujarat BJP's minority cell only last month, died of heart attack at a Surat hospital around 4:45 am on Monday.
He was brought to the hospital after he suffered a heart attack at the Circuit House, where he had met Muslim clerics and businessmen just over an hour ago.
Salot's body was taken to Rajkot where he hailed from.
Salot was also the vice-chairman of the Gujarat Minorities Finance and Development Corporation.
Hours before his death, Salot and partymen had together celebrated CM Narendra Modi's appointment as the BJP's campaign committee chairman and he also spoke to The Indian Express.
"The popularity of Narendra Modi is growing nationally not only among Hindus, but also among Muslims. The clerics from 25 national-level Muslims religious institutions across the country contacted me and showed interest in extending the hands of friendship with Modi. They all are eager to meet him and we have planned a meeting soon," Salot had told this paper.
"On Sunday, I received congratulatory messages from ulemas in the US, United Kingdom and South Africa who extended support to Modi," he said.
Salot had inaugurated an English and Gujarati-medium school at Karjan in Vadodara on Sunday along with state's Education Minister Bhupendrasinh Chudasama. After the programme, Salot came to Surat in the evening and met city BJP leaders at a programme to celebrate Modi's anointment.
He had dinner at a hotel and returned to the Circuit House where several Muslim businessmen and clerics met him, showing their eagerness to join the BJP. The meeting lasted till 1:30 am Monday.
At 2:45 am, Salot complained of breathing problem and chest pain. He was rushed to a hospital at Athwalines where he passed away.
- Teacher at school in Rohini accused of molesting eight-year-old girl: Police
- In Sushma seat, BJP tweaks Modi slogan
- In Rampur, Azam Khan charm wanes
- In Sambhal, what matters more than Modi is a railway link
- Cong, BJP don’t favour polls, to wait for LS results
- Purandeswari to contest from Rajampet on a BJP ticket