State board seeks cancellation of mega block
- Maoists target teachers, ambulance
- The Rahul Gandhi interview: 'PM candidates are unconstitutional, I won't step back if MPs ask me to be PM'
- Day after EC crackdown, Azam Khan booked for Kargil remarks
- The survivor
- The Narendra Modi interview: 'Cong's problem is that it can't see a chaiwallah challenging them'
With the Higher Secondary Certificate (HSC) examination scheduled Sunday, March 17, the Maharashtra State Board for Secondary and Higher Secondary Education (MSBSHSE) has written to railway officials requesting them to cancel the mega block.
With both Central and Western railways conducting mega blocks Sunday, commuting to the exam centres could become a big hassle. Hence, fearing inconvenience to the students the board has decided to write to officials of both Central and Western railway in advance.
Two papers, economics and biology, are scheduled on March 17. Earlier both economics and biology papers were scheduled on March 4. However, following demand from parents, teachers and students to postpone the papers in order avail study leave between every paper, the state board re-scheduled the exams to March 17.
"It is for the first time we are conducting an exam on a Sunday. The decision was taken so that students get study leave between two papers. On March 17 there are two papers back-to-back and we do not want any inconvenience to our students. Hence alongwith us even the secretary of Mumbai divisional board has written to the Central and Western railway authorities asking them to cancel the mega block," said Sarjerao Jadhav chairman of MSBSHSE.
Railway mega blocks are temporary shut down of local train services in order to conduct routine repair or maintenance work on all suburban lines.
Mega blocks are mostly conducted Sundays or public holidays. The mega blocks leads to huge rush due to cancellation of many trains and a complete shutdown of certain routes.
Vidyadhar Malegaonkar CPRO of Central Railway said, " If they have sent a letter to us we will see what can be done. However, March 17 is far away and so it is too early to say or do anything about the matter right now. We will take a decision by March 10 or 12."