State to host centenary celebrations of Reshmi Rumal
- Telangana bill passage shows country can take difficult decisions: Prime Minister
- Top General speaks on 2012 troop movement: "Def Secy summoned me late night, said highest seat of power was worried, troops must go back quickly"
- âTroop movement shouldâve been avoided if they knew (V K Singhâs) court dateâ
- The 2012 troop movement investigations
- India slams Pakistan for allowing Masood Azhar to spew venom
The state is all set to host the centenary celebrations of the Reshmi Rumal Movement (Movement of Silken Kerchief), an Indian armed movement that planned to declare war against the British empire in the early 20th century. The celebrations will be started with a seminar at the Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel Museum in Ahmedabad on Saturday.
Gujarat has been chosen as the launching pad of the celebrations because of the special relationship between the movement's founder Maulana Mahmoodul Hasan and Mahatma Gandhi.
Dignitaries like Gujarat Governor Kamla Beniwal, Gujarat Vidyapeeth Vice-Chancellor Sudershan Iyengar, Jamiatul Ulema Hind (JUH) general secretary Maulana Mahmood Madani, film director Mahesh Bhatt, Lok Sabha MP from Bihar Asrarul Haq Qasmi and Akhtarul Wasey from Jamia Millia Islami, New Delhi, will take part in the function.
Speaking to The Indian Express, JUH secretary Maulana Hakimuddin said the seminars and functions on the movement would be held in various parts of the country till November this year. The programme would end with a big public meeting in Delhi.
He said the movement was named as Reshmi Rumal because the secret messages were written on silk kerchiefs for communication among activists of the group.
- What should common man expect when PM’s killers are freed: Rahul on Jayalalithaa’s decision
- Anna Hazare says, I support Mamata Banerjee for her ideas
- The regressive state | The Indian Express
- Top General speaks: Def Secy summoned me late night, said highest seat of power was worried, troops must go back quickly