State to host centenary celebrations of Reshmi Rumal
- India to grow at 7.5 per cent in 2016, faster than China: IMF
- Lalu Yadav, Amit Shah booked for 'Narbhakshi', 'Chara chor' comments
- Nehru's niece returns Sahitya Akademi Award, questions PM's silence on 'reign of terror'
- Delhi MLAs may get 400 per cent hike in salary
- American Airlines plane makes emergency landing after pilot dies mid-flight
The state is all set to host the centenary celebrations of the Reshmi Rumal Movement (Movement of Silken Kerchief), an Indian armed movement that planned to declare war against the British empire in the early 20th century. The celebrations will be started with a seminar at the Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel Museum in Ahmedabad on Saturday.
Gujarat has been chosen as the launching pad of the celebrations because of the special relationship between the movement's founder Maulana Mahmoodul Hasan and Mahatma Gandhi.
Dignitaries like Gujarat Governor Kamla Beniwal, Gujarat Vidyapeeth Vice-Chancellor Sudershan Iyengar, Jamiatul Ulema Hind (JUH) general secretary Maulana Mahmood Madani, film director Mahesh Bhatt, Lok Sabha MP from Bihar Asrarul Haq Qasmi and Akhtarul Wasey from Jamia Millia Islami, New Delhi, will take part in the function.
Speaking to The Indian Express, JUH secretary Maulana Hakimuddin said the seminars and functions on the movement would be held in various parts of the country till November this year. The programme would end with a big public meeting in Delhi.