State to offer privilege cards to Punjabi NRIs
- CBI sought part RTI exemption, Govt gave it full
- Screen Awards: Milkha, Ram-Leela and Madras Cafe dominate
- DGCA seeks fresh public objections after clearing AirAsia for take-off
- Delhi: 51-year-old Danish national alleges gangrape, 15 detained for questioning
- I wonder if I will be able to ever reunite with my husband, my kids. I miss them: Devyani
The Punjab government has decided to offer special privilege card to all NRIs of Punjabi origin, entitling them to discounts at different shops, malls, hotels, restaurants and jewellery shops. Talking to The Indian Express, Commissioner (NRI Affairs) B Purushartha said: "The card will be launched tomorrow. It can be used for reservation of NRI wards in educational institutions that offer a quota in admissions. The card holder will also get preferential treatment at various reputed hospitals, schools and commercial establishments."
"Around 1,000 commercial establishments besides hospitals and schools have already approached the government and offered to give discount and reservations to NRIs. By having this card the NRI will get a discount ranging from 10 to 25 per cent. In government offices one can show the card and be given privilege treatment," he added.
Over 50,000 NRIs are registered with the state. "We expect that 1,000 cards will be issued tomorrow." The state government will also be announcing an NRI quota for PUDA plots and flats.
The government has also set up an Investment Cell to encourage NRIs to invest in economic and social sectors by notifying a single-window committee for grant of approvals.
Punjab is also hosting a two-day NRI conference from January 4 at Chandigarh and Kapurthala.
Going all out for NRI sammelan
Punjab will be hosting a two-day NRI conference from January 4 at Chandigarh and Kapurthala. The Punjab government has asked 21 elected representatives, from various countries, to attend the NRI Sammelan as state guests.
The guests will be provided with official vehicles with pilot and escort vehicles. The government has arranged for five Toyota Fortuner's and Five Toyota Camry's besides 11 Toyota Innovas. Ministers and MPs from abroad will get Fortuner and Camry vehicles.
- Live: Kejriwal does a U turn, urges people to come in largeÂ numbers
- Women competent enough, they need opportunities, saysÂ Rahul
- â€˜Modi has a majoritarian, authoritarian attitudeâ€¦ such a policy and style of govt would be a disaster for thisÂ countryâ€™
- â€˜Narmada water not reaching farmers for want of minor canalsâ€™ | The Indian Express