State to offer privilege cards to Punjabi NRIs
- Kashmir: 3 militants dead after attack at army camp in Handwara, medicines with Pak marking recovered
- The whitewash: Probe alleges Rohith Vemula's mother faked Dalit status, blames him for his suicide
- BCCI refute allegations of non-compliance with Lodha panel in Supreme Court
- Jayalalithaa's health: Madras HC dismisses petition, says filed for publicity, political reasons
- Government study finds toxins in PET bottles of 5 soft drink brands
The Punjab government has decided to offer special privilege card to all NRIs of Punjabi origin, entitling them to discounts at different shops, malls, hotels, restaurants and jewellery shops. Talking to The Indian Express, Commissioner (NRI Affairs) B Purushartha said: "The card will be launched tomorrow. It can be used for reservation of NRI wards in educational institutions that offer a quota in admissions. The card holder will also get preferential treatment at various reputed hospitals, schools and commercial establishments."
"Around 1,000 commercial establishments besides hospitals and schools have already approached the government and offered to give discount and reservations to NRIs. By having this card the NRI will get a discount ranging from 10 to 25 per cent. In government offices one can show the card and be given privilege treatment," he added.
Over 50,000 NRIs are registered with the state. "We expect that 1,000 cards will be issued tomorrow." The state government will also be announcing an NRI quota for PUDA plots and flats.
The government has also set up an Investment Cell to encourage NRIs to invest in economic and social sectors by notifying a single-window committee for grant of approvals.
Punjab is also hosting a two-day NRI conference from January 4 at Chandigarh and Kapurthala.
Going all out for NRI sammelan
Punjab will be hosting a two-day NRI conference from January 4 at Chandigarh and Kapurthala. The Punjab government has asked 21 elected representatives, from various countries, to attend the NRI Sammelan as state guests.
The guests will be provided with official vehicles with pilot and escort vehicles. The government has arranged for five Toyota Fortuner's and Five Toyota Camry's besides 11 Toyota Innovas. Ministers and MPs from abroad will get Fortuner and Camry vehicles.
- Revealing Elena Ferrante’s identity violates her desire for privacy
- Breakdown of LoC ceasefire will make it difficult for army to control infiltration
- Academic publishers suit shows how much they benefitted from intellectual commons
- Lack of unity has prevented Sindhi nationalists from pressuring Islamabad
- India must be prepared to deal with a disease that is growing globally
- Challenge for India’s leaders is to show that strength can be blended with subtlety & deftness