Stepping stones to a stress-free living
- CBI arrests Peter Mukerjea, says he was aware of Sheena Bora murder
- Pay panel suggests 23.55% hike, minimum pay of Rs 18,000 per month
- Paris attacks 'mastermind' Abdelhamid Abaaoud died in Saint-Denis raid
- HS Phoolka releases video of Rajiv Gandhi's speech justifying 1984 riots
- Rahul accuses PM, dares govt to take action on citizenship row
Forever 21. This may sound like the name of a perfume that's going to make you feel 21 again. But I am not a perfumer and that's not what I am selling. 'Forever 21' is a set of advice, which if followed, is surely going to give you the confidence of a 21-year-old — free, no worries and ready to take on the world. So here it is.
There is no kidding with the power of compounding. It really works. So start early, even it is only Rs 2,000 in a mutual fund SIP (systematic investment plan). Remember the adage 'the early bird gets the worm'. Rs 2,000 set aside each month for 10 years (i.e. Rs 2.40 lakh) in an investment fetching 10 per cent p.a. will amount to Rs 4.10 lakh at the end of 10 years. If you continue this for another 10 years, it amounts to a whopping Rs 15.18 lakhs.
Have a budget
A budget gives you control over your finances and a direction to your spending. It ensures that you know where your money is going with the idea that you can then distinguish between essentials, necessities and luxuries. However, definitely allow for some extravagance. What's the point of working hard if you can't enjoy it and enjoy it now. But set a limit for these extravagance and stay within the limit.
Buy insurance cover
You may not have any dependents today. You do not have any loans. You only have some assets. But tomorrow, you will have dependents or financial obligations towards say, your parents, spouse and children; and liabilities like a car loan or a home loan. You will need insurance then as you wouldn't want to leave your loved ones without financial security or with a burden of loans. Life is uncertain. Buying insurance when you are younger and healthier becomes cheaper.
- What Mr Mani Shankar Aiyar won’t say
- Results of local elections indicate that the BSP is regaining ground in UP
- The idea of Bihar: Social justice cohesion should be consolidated further
- Why the British commemorate Tipu Sultan
- Why my newspaper responded to Assam Rifles notice
- India is indebted to Shanti Bhushan for undoing Indira Gandhi’s 42nd Amendment