Stepping stones to a stress-free living
- Hidden in Assam mandate: The return of Prafulla Kumar Mahanta, his AGP
- Assam LIVE: No Gogoi 4.0 as BJP alliance finally looks east
- Kerala LIVE: It's an LDF wave in Kerala, BJP set to open account
- West Bengal LIVE: Trinamool set to storm Bengal assembly with massive lead, Left way behind
- Tamil Nadu LIVE: Amma breaks tradition, gets to stay in power
Forever 21. This may sound like the name of a perfume that's going to make you feel 21 again. But I am not a perfumer and that's not what I am selling. 'Forever 21' is a set of advice, which if followed, is surely going to give you the confidence of a 21-year-old — free, no worries and ready to take on the world. So here it is.
There is no kidding with the power of compounding. It really works. So start early, even it is only Rs 2,000 in a mutual fund SIP (systematic investment plan). Remember the adage 'the early bird gets the worm'. Rs 2,000 set aside each month for 10 years (i.e. Rs 2.40 lakh) in an investment fetching 10 per cent p.a. will amount to Rs 4.10 lakh at the end of 10 years. If you continue this for another 10 years, it amounts to a whopping Rs 15.18 lakhs.
Have a budget
A budget gives you control over your finances and a direction to your spending. It ensures that you know where your money is going with the idea that you can then distinguish between essentials, necessities and luxuries. However, definitely allow for some extravagance. What's the point of working hard if you can't enjoy it and enjoy it now. But set a limit for these extravagance and stay within the limit.
Buy insurance cover
You may not have any dependents today. You do not have any loans. You only have some assets. But tomorrow, you will have dependents or financial obligations towards say, your parents, spouse and children; and liabilities like a car loan or a home loan. You will need insurance then as you wouldn't want to leave your loved ones without financial security or with a burden of loans. Life is uncertain. Buying insurance when you are younger and healthier becomes cheaper.
- Create five large, structurally unconstrained govt-promoted banks
- Judges can, and have, crossed the line for a good cause
- Assembly results are unlikely to mark a critical change in Tamil Nadu’s bipolar contest
- Who belongs to the House, who doesn’t
- Some good news from the studios, some of them may have piped down
- Burying Karkare: I cannot let these forces go unchallenged