Steps of Gratitude
- Tanzanian student was not stripped, paraded naked: K'taka Home Minister
- National Herald case: Sonia, Rahul Gandhi move SC challenging Delhi HC order
- Budget session of Parliament to begin on Feb 23; Jaitley hopeful of GST
- Suspended UP chief engineer Yadav Singh arrested, Congress, BJP say probe links
- Will stand by Pakistan if it acts on terror: Rajnath Singh
Dance connoisseurs can look forward to promising performances at the 11th Jiwan Pani Festival.
The 11th Jiwan Pani Festival, which celebrates the renowned scholar Jiwan Pani's contribution of our art and cultural history, is being held in the Capital, today and tommorow. The festival, which is being organised by dance icon Sonal Mansingh, who considered Pani her mentor and guru, includes a variety of classical dance performances including jugalbandi of Odissi and Bharatnatyam by Pallavi Saran Gujral, Kathak performance by Aditi Mangaldas and Kathakali performance by Kalamandalam Gopi. Mansingh's celebration of her relationship with her mentor anchors on gratitude.
"Gratitude is a big word, it means a lot in Indian culture and tradition that has been passed on to us from generations, as artistes," says Mansingh, founder-president, Centre for Indian Classical Dances, which is organising this festival.
Pani was not just a mentor to her but to many others. "When I spoke to Gopiji about performing for us, we were both overwhelmed with the idea. His artistry is divine and I revere him," she says excitedly. This year's Jivan-Ratna Samman will be given to the eminent mardal maestro Shri Banamali Maharana.
The festival is at the India Habitat Centre. For more details, contact IHC: 24682222
- Outcome on Section 377 will depend on composition of the Constitution bench
- Inadequate staff, payment delays undermine MGNREGA in drought-hit Mahabubnagar
- ICDS, the primary scheme targeting malnutrition, needs to be broadened
- Rohith's death must focus attention on the rites of exclusion in the university
- Telescope: State in the bedroom
- The economy is best served by lowering interest rates and blocking protectionism