Stern action against footboard travellers to be taken
- Naxal threat has to be quashed with a firm hand, says Pranab, as Maoists kill 16 in Chhattisgarh ambush
- Malaysia military tracked missing plane to the west coast
- AAP defends Rs 20,000 per person dinner with Kejriwal, says it was transparent
- Bhagwat cautions RSS cadres against crossing limits for BJP
- Narendra Modi's new found love for Bihar a ploy to win votes: Nitish Kumar
Footboard travelling in buses and other vehicles in the union territory will now invite stern action from police under Motor Vehicles act as per the recent directions of Madras High court, which are applicable.
Four teenaged footboard passengers were crushed to death in Chennai recently and the court had passed interim order on a suo motu petition relating to the incident.
Superintendent of Police (Traffic) N.T.Sivadasan in a release said the directions was applicable here as it related to the safety of students. He said footboard travel and also the driver and conductors allowing such practice was liable for punishment under Section 123 read with section 177 of the Motor Vehicles Act 1988.
He said parents and heads of educational institutions and also teachers had been requested to play a prominent role to implement the Court directions in letter and spirit.
Traffic police had been told to prosecute those violating the rules. Names and addresses of students should be collected and information passed on to parents and educational institutions to take disciplinary action against them.
The drivers and conductors of school or college buses and also stage carriages have also been directed not to permit footboard travel, he said.
- Lack of legal power hampers probe into missing Malaysian Airlines jet
- Eight held for ‘attacking’ Dalit wedding procession in Sabarkantha
- 90 airports on alert to check movement of cash ahead of elections
- Notices to 23 hospitals for withdrawing facility
- Sindhis threaten to move HC if Sindhu Sagar not cleaned
- In Mumbai, teacher’s love story with student ends in her arrest
- AAP workers stage protest outside Kejriwal’s residence over ticket distribution
- BJP boycotts NDTV over news gaffe | The Indian Express
- Out of the promised 50,000 homes for the poor, not even 50 constructed in Gujarat by BJP: Kejriwal
- Kejriwal Gujarat tour: The unfamiliar politician | The Indian Express