STF receives applications from former DGP Sreekumar, Shabnam Hashmi
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Thousands join Narendra Modi as he begins roadshow ahead of filing nomination from Varanasi
- Modi to Cong: Just 20 days more...Will take revenge
- SC to frame rules to snip govt ads
- Donât allow regional parties to contest LS polls: Chavan
- Elections 2014 Phase 6 LIVE: Modi urges youngsters to vote; Medha Patkar alleges money distribution by parties
"This is a policy and a well-considered decision of Chief Minister Narendra Modi," Sreekumar has quoted Rao as telling him at the meeting.
This is part of a register of verbal instructions that Sreekumar reportedly maintained in 2002 when he was ADGP (Intelligence).
One of the applicants has claimed that Sanjay alias Sanju Sharda Singh, who was killed in an encounter in south Gujarat, was one of the "informers" allegedly used by suspended IPS officer Abhay Chudasama. The other cases of this region include encounters of Himla Machchar and Mahesh Gadhwali.
Shabnam has alleged that the "investigations" by the STF are futile as Gujarat Police officers are its members, right from the chairman to field officers.
She has urged Justice Bedi to reconstitute the STF with police officers of "credibility and experience".
She has alleged that STF members are close to Modi and are posted in the Ahmedabad Crime Branch. This assumes significance as three of the encounters, including of Sameer Khan Pathan in 2003, involved Crime Branch officers.
"Justice Bedi will look into all these representations and allegations and then call the applicants at the monitoring authority's office in Gandhinagar to record their statements," said the STF member.
According to STF officials, most of the affected families did not reply to their summons, following which the police personally visited their houses and delivered the summons.
- ANF official accused of killing youth a gallantry award winner
- Maharashtra: Poor turnout till 9 am in third phase of polling
- Hyderabad blast 2013: Agencies hunt for Mangalore ‘source’
- Police raids Giriraj Singh's home to arrest him for hate remarks
- Main accused in hawala racket has underworld links: Police
- Sindhu, Kashyap advance, Srikanth exits early at Asian C’ships