Street play held against corruption
- Salman Khan retracts tweets on Yakub Memon after protests; says 'never said he is innocent'
- Muslim League says SC has no right to interfere in matters of faith
- President urged to grant Yakub Memon reprieve from execution
- PM to launch cashless treatment scheme for accident victims
- Anna extends support to ex-servicemen over OROP protests
"Corruption is endemic in our society. It is sad and shameful but unfortunately we are the ones to blame," said Saupin's Community Service Organization of Chandigarh and Mohali while staging a street play against corruption in the Sector 19 market.
Promoting awareness about corruption on the occasion of Anti-Corruption Day which was observed internationally on December 9, students and volunteers of SCSO projected how we, the common people, help perpetuate a corrupt system.
A study done in 2008 by Transparency International reported that about 40 per cent of Indians had a first-hand experience of paying bribes or using a contact to get a job in public office.
SCSO held that the solutions are with us. "We have to stop taking pride in violating rules and should realize that the first step towards a corruption free society begin with us," a member said.