Street vendors to protest against MC on June 24
- Elections 2014 LIVE: AAP leader Somnath Bharti thrashed by BJP supporters in Varanasi
- Stakes high for BJP, Congress as 11 states go to polls tomorrow; A Raja, Milind Deora in fray
- Arvind Kejriwal beats Narendra Modi in Time magazine's poll of most influential people
- Priyanka Vadra continues to target Modi, rakes up snoopgate issue
- IPL 7 Live Cricket Score, CSK vs RR: RR strike at regular intervals against CSK in IPL 7
Fed up with the unfulfilled promise of the Ludhiana Municipal Corporation to form vending zones for street vendors in the city, the National Association of Street Vendors of India (NASVI) in coordination with street vendors of Ludhiana are going to hold Aakrosh Sabha at Guru Nanak Dev Bhawan on June 24.
Ranjit Abhigyan, programme manager, NASVI, said, "Though there has been a national policy for street vendors in force since 2004, the vendors in Ludhiana have been facing harassment of late. On issues of non-implementation of the national policy for street vendors in Ludhiana, we have time and again engaged with the municipal corporation and hoped that the street vendors would be able to have a better time. Last year when Rakesh Verma took over as the Commissioner of Municipal Corporation, we had called on him to discuss the issues of street vendors, particularly the issue of non-implementation of the national policy for street vendors. After the discussion, Verma had called for a formal proposal. We submitted a proposal to the MC along with a list of 77 potential vending zones having no traffic problems. The corporation officials assured that the proposal would be considered. But nothing happened."
"Ten days back, we had again called upon the Ludhiana Municipal Corporation to announce early formation of Town Vending Committee with 40 per cent representation of street vendor representatives and for creation of 75 vending zones across four municipal zones of the city. We had announced that if the MC did not do that, we will protest," he added.
- Lalu Prasad hits out at BJP and VHP, says its leaders Giriraj Singh, Praveen Togadia are 'hate mongering'
- Gujarat model a big lie, BJP should clarify: Akhilesh
- Priyanka Vadra rakes up snooping row to target Narendra Modi
- 2,700 more Muzaffarnagar riots victims apply for relief
- Shazia Ilmi's 'communal muslims' remark: BJP hits out at Aam Aadmi Party
- Battle of Varanasi: Kejriwal tears into Rahul, Modi over 'helicopter democracy'