Stretched zone V cops fall back on informants to prevent crime
- Hunt on for Malaysian Airlines: Stolen passports, missing debris fuel fears of foul play
- Raj Thackeray warms up to Narendra Modi, lets Sena feel the heat
- Rs 25,000 cr: CAG sees biggest ever J&K land scam
- Uttar Pradesh BJP wants tickets for four riot-accused MLAs
- Haryana, Gujarat top industry-friendly states, Maharashtra among bottom five
With nearly half the strength of zone V of city police concentrated in and around Shivaji Park, police have stepped up tapping of informants in Mahim, Kurla and Dharavi, where a number of criminal elements are known to stay and operate, to prevent crimes.
Police manpower problems were compounded Tuesday after vandalism in Worli Monday night.
DCP (zone V) Dhananjay Kulkarni admitted police were stretched due to the ongoing tension over a temporary structure built at Shivaji Park for cremation of Shiv Sena chief Bal Thackeray and after the Worli stone-pelting.
"Crime prevention and detection is bound to take a hit. There are fortunately no major unsolved crimes in the area, but in some pockets of the zone we can never be too careful. We are falling back on intelligence and keeping our eyes and ears open," he said.
Patrolling units have been instructed to keep a careful eye on movement of repeat offenders.
"Preventive arrests of history sheeters might have to be made. It all depends on the situation," Kulkarni said.
A recent survey by NGO Praja Foundation had revealed North-Central Mumbai, which includes Kurla, has the second-largest gap between the number of sanctioned posts and personnel.
- Bengal model better than Modi’s Gujarat, says Didi
- Sindhis threaten to move HC if Sindhu Sagar not cleaned
- Three RTI activists whom Kejriwal paid homage are alive
- Poojary wins Mangalore primary
- Short change: Health cover for girl child at 50% discount
- Run with the bulls, don’t lose out to foreign investors again
- BJP boycotts NDTV over news gaffe | The Indian Express
- Out of the promised 50,000 homes for the poor, not even 50 constructed in Gujarat by BJP: Kejriwal
- AAP workers stage protest outside Kejriwal’s residence over ticket distribution
- BJP complains to EC against Rahul over RSS remarks, seeks derecognition of Congress