Student alleges molestation; Chate Classes owner held, granted bail
- BJP manifesto pledges good governance, talks of constructing Ram Temple, abrogating Article 370
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Lakhs of farmers have committed suicide, says Modi; Will fight for the 70 crore poor and raise their standard of living, says Rahul
- Coal block scam: CVC Pradeep Kumar recuses himself from SC probe panel
- Chandrababu Naidu's TDP back in NDA, joins hands with BJP
- Lok Sabha elections: 41 pc polling in Tripura till noon; EVMs malfunction reported in Assam
A 17-year-old student was allegedly molested by Machindra Chate, the owner of coaching institute Chate Classes in Dadar East, Wednesday evening, police said.
Chate allegedly abused the student, put his hand on her shoulder and pulled at her top in a fit of rage during a meeting at his Dadar East office. The student lodged a complaint at Bhoiwada police station at 9.10 pm Wednesday. On learning that he had been charged with molestation, Chate surrendered Thursday afternoon.
He was produced before a magistrate at Bhoiwada Court and released on bail.
"We have charged him under Sections 354 (using criminal force to outrage a woman's modesty) and 504 (intentional insult with intent to provoke breach of the peace) of the Indian Penal Code (IPC) and are in the process of filing a chargesheet," said Vikram Patil, senior inspector.
Police said students at the Dadar East branch of Chate Classes were angry as classes were not being conducted regularly, and had held a meeting with Chate at 5.30 pm Wednesday.
About 12 students and their parents attended the meeting but were not happy with the outcome. They said classes had not been held properly since November, and with few days remaining for the board exams, a large part of the syllabus was yet to be covered.
Police said Chate offered to refund their fees and relocate them to the Dadar West branch but the students refused. Unsatisfied with the offer, the victim's uncle allegedly slapped Chate, who then called police.
"The students confronted him and demanded to know if he would bear responsibility for their academic performance. Chate started abusing them and put his hand on the student's shoulder. She screamed and her parents rushed to her aid. Later, they registered a complaint," Patil said.
Patil added that the girl's uncle, too, has been slapped with a non-cognizable offence and let off with a warning.
- Ukraine says Russia fomenting eastern unrest
- Liquor worth Rs 4.85 cr seized in MP ahead of LS polls
- Man held with foreign currency worth Rs 38 lakh at airport
- Candidates steering towards auto unions to rev up support
- ‘Will send builders of illegal structures to jail’
- To root out corruption, vote for change and give the new face a chance, says Bains