Student dies after teachers force him to do 100 sit-ups
- Amit Shah moves HC against FIRs on hate speeches
- Narendra Modi tukde-tukde kar dega: Rahul Gandhi
- EC notice to Azam for Kargil, other remarks
- Lok Sabha elections: Polling ends in Nagaland, Manipur, Meghalaya, Arunachal
- April 9 Campaign roundup: Gujarat model "balloon" will burst the same way as 'India Shining', says Rahul
Police filed a case against two teachers including a lady teacher of a private school, after a tenth-class student who was allegedly punished by them developed fever and died after undergoing treatment, prompting protests by relatives of the deceased.
The 15-year-old student Mohammed Ismail Hussain was punished and asked to do as many as 100 sit-ups by teachers Mobina Begum and Wahid on September 3, after he was found quarreling with another student on the school premises of Royal Embassy High School at Madannapet area, police said, based on a complaint lodged by the boy's parents.
The boy's parents further alleged that it was only after being forced to do sit-ups by the two teachers, their son developed fever and died today while undergoing treatment.
Based on the complaint, the Madannapet police registered a case under Section 304-A for causing death by negligence, against the two teachers, an investigating officer said.
After the post-mortem report of the boy is out, further action will be initiated, the police officer said, adding that the exact cause of the death, whether it happened due to fever or after being subjected to corporal punishment was still not known.
The parents said though Hussain developed fever on September 3 itself was immediately taken to a hospital, he had not informed them about the punishment until September 10. When parents and relatives brought the matter to the notice of school authorities, they got the boy admitted in another hospital.
After the incident, some relatives of the deceased held protests in front of the school and later allegedly damaged furniture, even as police intervened and brought the situation under control.
- Maybe I’ll still get to 10,000 Test runs, says Kevin Pietersen
- Jet flight ‘vanished’ for 30 mins over Germany
- Anna sells first-timers NOTA option
- Narendra Modi mentions wife in poll affidavit for the first time
- Naveen record hunt is a tough one
- Pakistan eager to resume talks with new Indian govt, says envoy